A Noble Cause, but Often Frustrating and Stressful

Former Employee - Examiner
Former Employee - Examiner

I worked at CFPB full-time for more than a year

Pros

The agency has real belief in consumer rights and protections. As a result, they have gotten the attention of much of the financial world.

Cons

A general lack of organization and structure. Many new examiners didn't get opportunities for proper training, and most of the experienced examiners' workload didn't allow for much time to train them. Lack of transparency from management.

Be more transparent, and look for ways to improve the work environment.

Other Reviews for CFPB

Innovative Federal Agency With An Important Mission

I have been working at CFPB

Pros

A new (and 21st century) agency with a great mission: to educate and protect the American consumer. The talent, dedication, and passion of ALL employees at CFPB provides a tremendous working environment. No matter what your role is, you will find the opportunity to be innovative and establish a sound market that works for consumers. CFPB is the next big leader in public service.

Cons

Coming from the private sector, I was accustomed to a fast pace environment. While we are a few notches above many other agencies, we encompass the same hurdles when implementing change.

Do work that matters.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at CFPB full-time for more than a year

Pros

CFPB is a rarity in the public sector: a newly created agency in a critical sector of the economy, charged with protecting consumers. CFPB offers unparalleled opportunity to contribute in a meaningful way to helping others. I've never worked with smarter, more capable people, many of whom share my deep commitment to the bureau's mission.

Cons

As a new agency, there are still a lot of processes being built. One side effect of working with brilliant people is that they can have strong opinions if they disagree, and continuing to refine role clarity and "swim lanes" can be a challenge.

Keep prioritizing the culture and steadily building processes and structures that help people to do their jobs; avoid the temptation to become a traditional bureaucracy.

There are newer employer reviews for CFPB.

Worked for CFPB? Contribute to the Community!