There are newer employer reviews for CFPB

Great Agency

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at CFPB full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a new agency, so there isn't too much red tape yet.

Cons

There are no internal hiring policies.

None.

24 Other Employee Reviews for CFPB (View Most Recent)

Great Mission, Great People, and open to change

I worked at CFPB full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have seen a significant effort for the Bureau and some of it's offices trying to listen to the employees. The Bureau is a great place to work with dedicated individuals and you can actually see the effect that the work has on the public. The Bureau is still in a bit of a startup phase and has some growing pains, but this is a great place to be at.

Cons

I would say that the biggest issue is IT and their inability to function correctly. Their policies and lack of knowledge is very apparent and is hindering the Bureau and the employees from doing great work.

My advice would be to bring in experienced federal IT professionals to get the shop working correctly and functioning properly.

nightmare scenario for employees

I have been working at CFPB full-time for more than a year

Pros

compensation can be competitive for a federal agency, and benefits are good

Cons

There are two significant problems with this agency - (1) they hired in a rush and hired the wrong people and (2) there are no policies or procedures in place to help or protect employees. It is widely known that the CFBP was in a rush to hire when they opened their doors in 2011, and sadly, they hired senior managers who were unqualified, inexperienced and with little willingness or ability to lead and mentor employees. Most were from failed institutions like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. The senior managers then promoted their friends and cronies, further complicating the problem. There was and still is very little review or oversight. The result has been nothing short of a disaster. The complete lack of managerial experience has driven employees out the door in droves. Although the agency is a little over 2 years old, employees have been leaving after only one year or sometimes even less.

The second big problem is the lack of policies and procedures. Employees are at the managers' whim and have to no recourse. The Human Capital/Labor Relations department is either unwilling or unable to help employees. Managers basically do whatever they want, whenever they want. Employee morale is extremely low and hundreds of grievances have been filed. There have also been many, many complaints about discrimination based on race, age, gender, etc, and most people think the problem is snowballing.

I have been in the federal sector for nearly a decade and this is the most difficult environment I have worked in.

There are newer employer reviews for CFPB

Worked for CFPB? Contribute to the Community!