CGI Communication problems.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)
Current Employee - Project Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at CGI

Pros

The best reason would be to catapult yourself in your career outside CGI.

Cons

LAck of communication about important issues.

Advice to Management

Middle managemenet must learn to manage people as well as technology. Don't promote someone on the basis of their technological prowess.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

CGI: Fairly decent place to work

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I have been working at CGI

Pros

They have a pretty good vacation structure. I get around 3 or 4 week vacation this year. That's kind of nice. You can get a consultant position where travel is available, but if you tire of it you can get a more home-based position. I've also been able to work from home quite a lot while I've been there. The pay is OK for my position, in this city. There is a good dental/vision/drug benefit package. CGI and the employees do a lot of charity work. It's nice to work for a company with a conscience. Altogether, they seem to be OK.

Cons

I'm supposed to have a $1000 annual training allowance, but I've never seen any of that money. I usually spend several hundred dollars a year of my own cash to buy books to keep up with what is going on in my field. CGI won't reimburse me for anything except fees for certification exams. The problem is that the exams only have partly to do with my job, so I have to buy books which I need to do my job. Also, there's no profit sharing. They say there is, but I've never met another CGI employee who received profit sharing.

Advice to Management

Employees should have more control over their training costs. If you say we have $1000 then let us spend it on books or whatever else we think we need to do our job. It shouldn't have to go through a director, get approved, etc. Directors don't have something better to do? The company tracks expenses and time sheets on the portal, so why isn't there a place to put in costs for books? Come on: I can get you a receipt from Amazon. It's not a problem. Also, if I don't use my allowance for one year, then shouldn't I be able to put it towards one of these $2000 week-long IT courses the next year?

good for awhile but no chance of growing and getting ahead in both career and salary

Current Employee - Consultant in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at CGI

Pros

Social Club activities, provide a laptop

Cons

not part of the cgi team, feel closer to the gov't client than you do with CGI, they try to pay you but are unsucessfull at doing so, that have so called "market adjustments" that always fall short, no sence of climbing the ladder, you get marked with a skill and hard to move to new things.

Advice to Management

Pay members better, solve people from leaving, if an enmployee says thay are unhappy, listen to them and try to make them happy before thy decide to leave.