There are newer employer reviews for CH2M HILL

Pretty good, but not superb

Current Employee - Process Engineer (E3)  in  Portland, OR
Current Employee - Process Engineer (E3) in Portland, OR

I have been working at CH2M HILL

Pros

40-45 hour work week, decent 401k, plus 2% yearly as stock, 100% employee owned with internal market, diverse company with regards to work type makes it easy to go somewhere else and do something different (took me 4 days to transfer, and I've seen multiple employees take 6 months assignments), senior management does a very good job of keeping you informed of business direction and goals, senior management is approachable (I've had a beer with the CEO).

The work has the potential to be very diverse, and, should you desire for a change of pace/venue/project, it is very easy to effect this change.

Cons are not unique to CH2M HILL. They can be found at all EPC companies.

Cons

Absolutely no mid-level (5-12 years of experience anywhere. Company consists of junior folks, and senior folks. As such, the path for progression from junior to senior is not particularily laid out. Senior folks who, in part, are responsible for this career development, do not and cannot actively lay out a path.

Engineers, in particular, who worked for the client for some number of years are valued much higher than employees who had not. I.e. someone with 10 years experience, 5 for CH2M and 5 for a client is paid 20% more than someone with 10 years experience working for CH2M HILL. The expensive person does not add more value, and in many cases could be argued to add less.

As such, most junior people I know eventually quit to work for the client for 5-10 years, then come back.

Overhead costs can be high and this limits company profit. You may have 98% billable time, yet see averages of "75%" amongst the company. Making you wonder where the overhead is, since you flat out don't see it (almost all employees you meet will be billable).

Poor performers are often not dealt with expediently and linger in the system until such time that work gets low, then they may or may not be laid off first. However, if work is going strong for 4 years, you may have to deal with poorly performing coworkers for 4 years since even the poor performers make the company money. Differences in employee productivity can easily be 5:1 between the Jedis and the non Jedis. There is however, no difference in pay.

Mr. McIntire, I think you're a phenominal CEO. Your executive team is very good at keeping us minions in the loop and sharing our goals and performance against those goals. I have to warn you that every, and I do mean every junior engineer (less than 5 years experience) who is good at their job (the Jedis) that I personally know, myself included, is planning on quitting CH2M HILL in the next 2-3 years. We will likely go work for the client, or go work for another EPC firm who is in a hiring binge (easy to extract 10% more money).

The reasons for this are: pay (client pay is substantially higher (through the bonus system), people with client exp get paid more to return as senior folk, and when swapping between EPC companies who are desperate to hire, getting a 10% raise is cake), no clear path for transition from junior to senior, and lastly, poor performing employees are not dealt with and can be paid nearly the same as Jedi employees.

Often times you have E3's being billed to clients as E5's, and E6's doing the exact same work an E2 right next to them is also doing, at 3x the cost. This is great for the E6, but the E2 can only do that for so long before asking what gives.

I don't think this is your fault, but, you need to fix it. Or soon you will have senior folk retiring and will have absolutely NO mid-level jedis to replace them. You will have to entice them to return from your clients and competitors. Clients and competitors who are also simultaneously seeing their senior folk retire and are probably throwing large sums of cash at the employees you want to hire.

A clear path from E2/E3 to E5/E6 with increasing responsibility and an increased cleanout of poor performers would be a wonderful start.

336 Other Employee Reviews for CH2M HILL (View Most Recent)

Not the great place it was when Ralph Peterson was there and who hired Lee Mc? What a joke!

Current Employee - Project Accountant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Accountant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CH2M HILL

Pros

Flexible place overall depending on who your boss is. Teleworking allowed depending on who your boss is. Can be an awesome place to work...depending on who your boss is.

Cons

Having an overpaid supervisor that doesn't know their job or yours even after 3 years of being employed with the company. Having a manager that allows the nonsense to go on for so long when the company has let so many qualified people go who were paid less money. It's frustrating when management doesn't listen to the staff when the staff are the ones doing the work and understand the job. Ralph Peterson cared about everyone; Lee Mc. is out for himself and allows the overpaying of people who really need to be demoted.

Get a grip on what's really important. From the top to the bottom of the pay scale, everyone should be treated with respect and receive recognition for things they do for the company. Take care of your employees and they will take care of you.

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at CH2M HILL

Pros

Some great people to work with and some dead wood to work around, all in all an interesting place to work.

Cons

Management always harps about how employee's are the most important resource the company has, yet pay is lower than most other companies in the same business.

Start paying people better and you might keep some of the more valuable employee's instead of loosing them to competitors.

There are newer employer reviews for CH2M HILL

Worked for CH2M HILL? Contribute to the Community!