CH2M HILL

Great Place to summer intern

Current Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CH2M HILL

Pros

This is a great place to work as an intern. There are different "business" groups that so you can jump around to see what you like. There is an official intern program that you can do, and learn a lot about the company. i

Cons

Consulting work can be slow during times of a recession, and being a part time of seasonal employee can be difficult

Keep up the good work. Try to integrate CH2M Hill with your other companies. Lockwood Greene (where I work) still seems seperated

372 Other Employee Reviews for CH2M HILL (View Most Recent)

CH2M HILL continues to be a great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at CH2M HILL

Pros

CH2M HILL has impeccable ethics; I have full faith in our leadership. The work that CH2M HILL does in the world only helps people and places.

Cons

If you aren't a self-starter, you won't be successful (which isn't a bad thing!).

Keep up the hard work and keep communicating with the organization.

A great place for those starting out - caution advised for mid-career professionals and those outside consulting.

Former Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at CH2M HILL

Pros

CH2M HILL has a sterling reputation both inside and outside the consulting/engineering fraternity, and if you're fortunate enough to be in the right position (or business group), there are opportunities to work on challenging projects with real career development potential. Many of those I've worked with who have gone on to jobs elsewhere have remarked that the CH2M HILL cachet was a key factor in landing their new position. In addition, there are many good, talented folks that work for the company. Although I did not take advantage of it, the company mentor program appears worthwhile. CH2M HILL is a great place for those just starting out in their careers, or for those who are truly committed to an engineering/consulting career.

Cons

I worked for a couple of different entities and in a couple of different offices/geographies, but the one constant and, I think, biggest drawback to working at CH2M HILL is an overall failure to assimilate folks from outside the firm. Many of the senior staff at Hill have spent a large portion, if not their entire careers, there. Mid- and senior-level folks from different backgrounds (outside of consulting) or other consulting/engineering firms aren't generally well-integrated into CH2M HILL and their perspectives and input tends to be discounted. This is a generalization to be sure, but its something I have observed and experienced. A related problem is that the thinking internally can be biased - in other words, there's a tendency for managers to be convinced of the infallibility of their beliefs/assumptions. This is particularly true when it comes to business acumen, strategic/long-range planning, personnel management, etc. Although there is a high level of technical and project management expertise in the firm generally, this unfortunately doesn't always carry over into other areas. "Soft" management skills and good people management on the part of leaders is not as common as it ought to be. Another problem I encountered is the lack of standardization between different offices/geographies/programs. There is much talk about "the CH2M HILL way" of doing things, but you'd be hard pressed to put your finger on exactly what that is. Finally, pathways to career advancement can be extremely limited. For example, during my time in Houston, I noticed a distinct preference for external hires as opposed to promotions from within.

Put real, tangible, measurable incentives in place firmwide to promote effective people management, i.e. tie raises/promotions to staff utilization, 360 degree feedback and ratings from staff, professional development of staff, etc. Help Operations Leaders understand their role in terms of an ongoing fostering and developing of talent, as opposed to a once-yearly "checking the box" as part of the annual performance appraisal process. Finally, give people leaders the tools/training to help them succeed.

There are newer employer reviews for CH2M HILL