CH2M HILL

www.ch2m.com
There are newer employer reviews for CH2M HILL

Like that the company is employee-oriented and does cool work

Current Employee - Corporate in Englewood, CO
Current Employee - Corporate in Englewood, CO

I have been working at CH2M HILL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employee ownership culture, still has the culture of a mom and pop firm despite its growth and global presence (aversion to RIFs, collaborative culture where everyone gets a say).

Cons

The downside of the culture and strategy is that there is not the same level of profit to support employee development or other non-billable 'perks'. Compensation and benefits are average by design. As with many firms, employees may feel pressure to find their next project on their own until their network is built in the firm.

Spend the resources and demand an industry-defining deployment and redeployment platform that gives employees the career opportunities they need to build their future in the company beyond the first 2 year hump.

401 Other Employee Reviews for CH2M HILL (View Most Recent)

If only I could give negative stars

Former Employee - Information Technology in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Englewood, CO

I worked at CH2M HILL full-time (less than an year)

Pros

nice office surroundings, decent pay

Cons

I will have to say that in my numerous years in IT, this is likely the worst place I have ever worked, as well as the only job I have ever had to leave in less than a year. As with most companies, the manager can make or break the job. I was shocked at the amount of favoritism given to long term employees and those who know how to bs with the "boss." New team members are never given the chance to make an impact on the team or shown any appreciation for their work. Work/Life balance is non existent as employees and contractors alike are expected to work 50 plus hours routinely per week, with no chance for flex time or working from home. In addition, senior management does not condone employees talking to them if they have any issues. Strange, I thought the open door policy was just common sense in today's workplace? Many of my fellow employees were dangerously physically and emotionally drained.

If you care about your health, family or your mental well being, DO NOT take a job at CH2M!!!!

Have an open door policy, don't turn away employees that want to talk to you about issues with their supervisor.

CH2M HILL Response

Jan 6, 2014Talent Acquisition

We are sorry that your experience with the company was not a positive one; however, we do appreciate the time you took to review CH2M HILL. We will send your feedback to Senior Management.

Quality is out the door, it's all about the bottom line now.

Current Employee - Administration in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Administration in Portland, OR

I have been working at CH2M HILL full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

New CEO coming next year. Maybe her leadership and ideals will improve our business.

Great people. My coworkers are amazing and fun. Cool company events (once a year). Community involvement.

Exciting projects. Although I work in administration, I love hearing about projects we're working on.

Generous vacation time (still have to work Christmas Eve and New Years Eve, though).

Cons

Too focused on bottom line. Cut health care plans and make employees pay quadruple out-of-pocket expenses. Give bonuses to senior people already making big bucks, while those struggling to survive receive 1% pay increases (that don't even cover inflation, benefit fees). Cut quality and replace with quantity to reduce overhead.

Major foreign firm acquisitions to hide the fact they can't pay out for employee-owned company stock. It's all about buy buy buy. Senior employees have more invested in employee stock than CH2M Hill can cover. To balance this, they buy other engineering firms (VECO, Halcrow) and fire most of their upper-level (read: EXPENSIVE) employees shortly after acquisition.

Laying off (or worse, demoting to part-time) experienced engineers and replace with fresh-out-of-college, cheap engineers.

Managers unethical, over-sharers. I know way more about my coworkers' medical conditions than I should. I can't trust upper management, nor HR.

Good employees leaving CH2M Hill for competing firms, and in turn, losing large clients and projects.

Business groups are like islands. No groups are alike or even communicate. Their practices and behaviors are like oil and water.

Displaying and distributing The Little Yellow Book (company ideals written by a co-founder) is a little degrading at this point. It focuses on keeping employees and clients happy, which CH2M Hill hasn't considered in years.

Have you even read The Little Yellow Book? Keep employees happy. Be more client-focused. Start thinking big picture, instead of how we're going to get through this year to balance numbers. Stop laying off people who have proven they're good at what they do.

CH2M HILL Response

Jan 6, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to review CH2M HILL. We will pass your feedback along to Senior Management.

There are newer employer reviews for CH2M HILL