There are newer employer reviews for CH2M

Not a company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Pros

Flexible for time off, it is a retirement workplace.

Cons

Non-existent career and salary advancement.

Other Employee Reviews for CH2M

Stay billable or else...

Former Employee - Project Controls Transportation Business Group
    Former Employee - Project Controls Transportation Business Group

Pros

Good work/life balance. Good company reputation (but getting worse). The people (workers) are generally very nice. I think the company is moving in the right direction. Solid reputation in water/waste water engineering.

Cons

First of all, I was in Transportation so maybe I was in a bad business unit. At the time I left, the Business Group VP was getting "reassigned" so maybe things will improve. I was also in a smaller office in a smaller state (had a logo on the side of the building though), so that might have made a difference in my impression of the company. I did do travelling (had to in order to keep my job) to large offices in large states for the Energy Group. I think I was taken care of pretty well but not so for others. That being said... CH is hiring a lot of ex-government employees as "rain makers" for their business contacts and to win more work. They take these people that have a bureaucratic and lazy way of doing business (and were not particularly good as government employees or they are retired government and therefore Retired In Place) and they make them senior managers with you reporting to them. Well, they really have no experience or desire to manage an organization, or you personally, so there is a feeling of detachment between the people responsible for your career and pay and yourself. Being a former manager myself, I knew you always had The sales guys get all the benefits and perks, you get a 1 or 2% raise. You are a "Revenue Generating Unit" (RGU). CH hires the cheapest people they can that are minimally competent to do the job (oh, and have the best credentials) and then bill them out at the highest rate possible. CH also loves T&M to mazimize billing withoug looking for ways to save the client money. When the job is over, you are placed on "workload imbalance" which means you don't get paid. As my first assignment was within a year of winding down, CH began to encourage me to look at other opportunities. So, I took a personal risk and offered to go on a travel assignment. After a month, as I was flying home (I was between flight legs) I was told by the sales guy via cellphone, that the client would not pay for travel or relocation and so I would no longer be needed. Thank God my old job hadn't been filled or I would have been unemployed. CH is moving toward a "delivery center" concept which is a good idea but those in the field that don't want to move may get cut. Long term, watch out for engineering being "outsourced" either to an in-US delivery center or overseas (India). McIntire has stated that he wants to expand CH overseas as opposed to US growth. Being a PE is a prerequisite to moving up the ladder. CH would rather keep an incompetent PE and sack a competent non PE. If you are not a PE you won't get the money or job opportunities. In 2 years with CH I never met my manager. CH touts mentoring but as in my previous comments, unless you are buddies with your manager, forget about it. More "sales" oriented than "delivery". High gross margins but very low net margins means overhead is way too high. Too many "old timers". Maybe things are great at the HQ but in some of the field offices, it is kinda bleak. Since CH is not a construction company, their project controls is pretty weak in terms of real technical competence in scheduling/costing and earned value. Project management is mostly reporting on the work being done by other entities and based on data being provided by them. Be skeptical of companies that love to have Class A office space (high overhead, sales orientation) with their names on the sides of buildings. Bechtel and Fluor are a lot bigger than CH but you don't see their logos around much.

Advice to Management

Come out to the offices and talk to line people, not management. Conduct anonymous employee surveys. Implement 360 degree feedback. Lee flys around alot meeting with management and clients, but seems detached from the employees. Figure out what your "core" team headcount should be, then augment with contractors to avoid the "hire/fire" roller coaster.

2. Decent job

Pros

Management's support for taking time off Flexible start time Benefits are on par with the rest of the industry standards

Cons

The management team acts childish at times and doesn't function as a team Overall lack of professional from the top down

Advice to Management

Survey employees to see how they truly feel and make changes Focus on the big picture and not worry about small issues