Dysfunction at its best

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Orange, CA
Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Orange, CA

I have been working at CHOC Children's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some pros to working at CHOC. The doctors are very knowledgeable and working with SOME of the patients and families is enjoyable (the ones that really appreciate what you do for them and do not use and abuse the system). A few of my co-workers have made the enviornment a nice place to work. Had it not been for them and the dept. that I work for, I would have been long gone. It would def. be a pro if I were a patient in this hospital, we do everything for these people. I guess another pro would be that the entire time I have worked in this hospital, my office area has not been vacuumed once! Sometimes the trash even gets left for days and you start having a wonderful aroma fill the air.

Cons

Well, the first key to me that this place was dysfunctional would be the lack of training that I received when I was first hired. First, you have the big hospital general orientation for the first week, then after that you are basically thrown to the wolves and it is do it yourself training (or DIY as some of us like to call it). I know people that have been here for years and are still not doing processes correctly. Secondly, these are the most back stabbing people I have ever worked with. Definitely be careful of who you can trust, seriously, people will be running to your boss over any stupid little thing you say or do. Thirdly, my manager is horrible. I do not even know how this person has not gotten the boot yet--oh wait, yes I do, she kisses tail up the chain of command. Meanwhile, she treats her direct reports like crap by belittling them in the staff meetings among misc. other things. My best advice is, if you have a compaint about anything DO NOT be honest. Just walk around nodding your head pretending like everything is all hunky dory with a smile on your face. If you complain, it will backfire. As I stated above, it is a joy getting to know SOME of the patients and families. Others can take a hike! We do everything for these people (literally just about anything) and a large majority of them are not grateful. CHOC tolerates a lot of behavior that other children's hospitals in the southern CA area do not put up with (that's why they come here--all roads lead to CHOC)! Lastly, my favorite thing is when other employyes of CHOC (normally the bigs wigs or 'CHOC cheerleaders') as I like to call them come to your staff meetings talking about how wonderful everything is and it is great to be a CHOC because of BIG changes occuring. What they fail to mention is those BIG changes are layoffs, more backstabbing, and more grunt work for the peons!

Advice to Management

Well, it is not like they would listen anyway, but why don't you stop hiring directors of directors. This place is too top heavy. And quit having meetings about meetings. It is the same stuff over and over again and frankly, the peons are sick of listening to all of the BS. And it is really unfortunate because it is the little people/peons that are suffering. Now that a consulting firm has come in to restructure, nurses are fretting about their jobs. I am sure it will be the little people that are laid off instead of the big wigs. I get the attitude that it is not 'Thank you for working for us, we are so grateful to have you' but more of 'You are lucky you work here.' They want us to do everything for these patients. The next thing that I am sure they will have us do is directly deliver food to the patient's homes--hey, it would make for good customer service. My advice---open your eyes and look at the REAL issues people, listen to your employees/the people below you, they really do have good insight and valuable opinions.

reviews filtered by

This is one of the most disfunctional places I have worked.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Orange, CA

I have been working at CHOC Children's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would take my child here any day. The doctos and nurses are amazing as is the facility. They do provide free parking and semi-fair salaries.

Cons

Poor Senior Leadership - very unethical. There is no honesty and you often feel left behind on major decisions. They hire people based on who they know - not their experince in their field.

Advice to Management

Look to other Children's Hospitals who are leading the way. Bring people in who know the industry.

Unethical senior leadership

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Orange, CA

I have been working at CHOC Children's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

Senior executives pretend to be open and honest but are always talking behind each other's back and scheming. The executives are out for themselves and have zero interest in supporting the directors and managers. Lots of lying and misstatement of facts. I have worked in three other organizations as an admin assistant and have never seen anything like this.

Advice to Management

At some point in time your dishonesty is going to come out. So many leaders and staff have left and many are looking. Can't blame them.