CIBA Vision

www.cibavision.com
  www.cibavision.com
There are newer employer reviews for CIBA Vision

I felt there was gender discrimination. Males were promoted without a second thought.

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Duluth, GA
Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Duluth, GA

I worked at CIBA Vision full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company Benefits were great. I found salary was excellent compared to the market.

Cons

Management was bias, not professional or experienced.

53 Other Employee Reviews for CIBA Vision (View Most Recent)

This was an okay experience for me.

Former Employee - Packaging Engineer in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Packaging Engineer in Duluth, GA

I worked at CIBA Vision as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

The department I worked at was very nice, the department head was friendly and laid back. Overall company culture was pretty good.

Cons

The job involved a lot of bureaucratic, redundant and boring tasks.

Love working in R&D, but temps are treated poorly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

I have been working at CIBA Vision

Pros

Great work-life balance
    Smart colleagues with diverse backgrounds
    Friendly environment where people always greet each other, even if they don't know you
    Lots of kitchenettes all around with free coffee, hot-chocolate, and ~20 flavors of tea
    Kind managers - people generally have good relationships with their managers
    Research budgets are pretty generous, and labs are nicely equipped

Cons

CIBA likes to do a lot of hiring through temp agencies. The temps are usually continually renewed, but are rarely hired on permanently. Temps are given quite a bit of responsibility, and are well respected within the lab/group, but upper management does not understand how knowledgeable and important the temps are. Also, the temps (even ones who have worked there for 3 to 6 years) are not invited to the Christmas parties or company picnics, etc.

Another downside of working here has been the lack of communication from management during the merger with Alcon. I agree with a previous post that cited the lack of availability of a career ladder and/or organizational structure. It does make it hard to know what opportunities are out there. It is unfortanate that many people were asked to relocate to Texas and/or leave the company; however, I believe these employees were treated fairly. Now that most of the re-organization/merger has been completed, and the company has made plans to invest $200 million into the manufacturing facility here in Duluth, morale is improving a lot.

Even if there are good business reasons to employ people through temp agencies, those people should still be treated humanely, and their work should be recognized. Temps are not just doing routine testing, they are also writing reports, protocols, and even SOPs. Many temps have specific and in-depth knowledge that is vital to the functions within R&D.

There are newer employer reviews for CIBA Vision