There are newer employer reviews for CIBC

fun and diversified work place....

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at CIBC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- diversified work force.
- lots of career development opportunities.
- different career streams. you can switch career stream without changing your seniority in the company.

Cons

- routine work hours.
- conservative.
- people tend to stay in the position for a long time, therefore, promotion opportunities is limited..

502 Other Employee Reviews for CIBC (View Most Recent)

Good place to work

Current Employee - Financial Adviser
    Current Employee - Financial Adviser

I have been working at CIBC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Strong Company --Client focused -Has always treated me well in the 14 years I have been there ---Good opportunity to move up

Cons

Targets are aggressive ---Flexible hours are required if you want to do well----Keep changing how targets are measured

I have been warned before I started working here and regret ignoring those warnings.

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative II  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative II in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at CIBC full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are with CIBC World Markets, the education perks are great. They pay for quite a few courses from the Canadian Securities Institute and give you a bonus when you pass.

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities. People with minimal education move up in to higher levels, yet I have seen individuals with an MBA remain in a salary band 4 position. Wages are lower than other financial institutions. There was a constant feeling of management out to keep everyone down, instead of looking out for their best interest. I have worked for both Wood Gundy and the Retail Banking division. This is the case in 3 out of the 3 offices I have worked at.

If you keep your employees happy, they will be willing to do more for you. If you micro manage, give them a hard time or focus on what they could improve on (yes there is alway's something), then you will have a high turnover. People like to be appreciated for their contributions, I did not enjoy going to work. Everyday, I would ask myself why I do a good job for CIBC only to get dumped on. "You closed $800k in loans this week, but.... what happened to your calls? What's going on here? You need to get your act together." This does not sit well with employees.

There are newer employer reviews for CIBC

Worked for CIBC? Contribute to the Community!