Good contract opportunityt

Former Contractor - Technical Writer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
Former Contractor - Technical Writer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at CIBC as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

flex hours, able to work from home, good compensation

Cons

poor communication between management, stakeholders

reviews filtered by
  1. Good place to work

Current Employee - Financial Adviser
    Current Employee - Financial Adviser

I have been working at CIBC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong Company --Client focused -Has always treated me well in the 14 years I have been there ---Good opportunity to move up

Cons

Targets are aggressive ---Flexible hours are required if you want to do well----Keep changing how targets are measured

I have been warned before I started working here and regret ignoring those warnings.

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative II in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative II in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at CIBC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are with CIBC World Markets, the education perks are great. They pay for quite a few courses from the Canadian Securities Institute and give you a bonus when you pass.

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities. People with minimal education move up in to higher levels, yet I have seen individuals with an MBA remain in a salary band 4 position. Wages are lower than other financial institutions. There was a constant feeling of management out to keep everyone down, instead of looking out for their best interest. I have worked for both Wood Gundy and the Retail Banking division. This is the case in 3 out of the 3 offices I have worked at.

Advice to Management

If you keep your employees happy, they will be willing to do more for you. If you micro manage, give them a hard time or focus on what they could improve on (yes there is alway's something), then you will have a high turnover. People like to be appreciated for their contributions, I did not enjoy going to work. Everyday, I would ask myself why I do a good job for CIBC only to get dumped on. "You closed $800k in loans this week, but.... what happened to your calls? What's going on here? You need to get your act together." This does not sit well with employees.