There are newer employer reviews for CIBC

Good contract opportunityt

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - Technical Writer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at CIBC as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

flex hours, able to work from home, good compensation

Cons

poor communication between management, stakeholders

525 Other Employee Reviews for CIBC (View Most Recent)

I have been warned before I started working here and regret ignoring those warnings.

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative II in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative II in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at CIBC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are with CIBC World Markets, the education perks are great. They pay for quite a few courses from the Canadian Securities Institute and give you a bonus when you pass.

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities. People with minimal education move up in to higher levels, yet I have seen individuals with an MBA remain in a salary band 4 position. Wages are lower than other financial institutions. There was a constant feeling of management out to keep everyone down, instead of looking out for their best interest. I have worked for both Wood Gundy and the Retail Banking division. This is the case in 3 out of the 3 offices I have worked at.

If you keep your employees happy, they will be willing to do more for you. If you micro manage, give them a hard time or focus on what they could improve on (yes there is alway's something), then you will have a high turnover. People like to be appreciated for their contributions, I did not enjoy going to work. Everyday, I would ask myself why I do a good job for CIBC only to get dumped on. "You closed $800k in loans this week, but.... what happened to your calls? What's going on here? You need to get your act together." This does not sit well with employees.

fun and diversified work place....

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at CIBC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- diversified work force.
    - lots of career development opportunities.
    - different career streams. you can switch career stream without changing your seniority in the company.

Cons

- routine work hours.
    - conservative.
    - people tend to stay in the position for a long time, therefore, promotion opportunities is limited..

There are newer employer reviews for CIBC