There are newer employer reviews for CIBC

high workload and stress for underwhelming pay

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative II in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

I have been working at CIBC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

benefits, 3 weeks holidays per year (FSR II and up)

Cons

outdated impossible computer systems, underqualified leaders, high targets

Advice to Management

high turnover is due to constantly increasing demands with diminishing compensation

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I have been warned before I started working here and regret ignoring those warnings.

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative II in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative II in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at CIBC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are with CIBC World Markets, the education perks are great. They pay for quite a few courses from the Canadian Securities Institute and give you a bonus when you pass.

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities. People with minimal education move up in to higher levels, yet I have seen individuals with an MBA remain in a salary band 4 position. Wages are lower than other financial institutions. There was a constant feeling of management out to keep everyone down, instead of looking out for their best interest. I have worked for both Wood Gundy and the Retail Banking division. This is the case in 3 out of the 3 offices I have worked at.

Advice to Management

If you keep your employees happy, they will be willing to do more for you. If you micro manage, give them a hard time or focus on what they could improve on (yes there is alway's something), then you will have a high turnover. People like to be appreciated for their contributions, I did not enjoy going to work. Everyday, I would ask myself why I do a good job for CIBC only to get dumped on. "You closed $800k in loans this week, but.... what happened to your calls? What's going on here? You need to get your act together." This does not sit well with employees.

2. Good contract opportunityt

Former Contractor - Technical Writer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Technical Writer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at CIBC as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

flex hours, able to work from home, good compensation

Cons

poor communication between management, stakeholders