CMA CGM America

www.cma-cgm.com
  www.cma-cgm.com
There are newer employer reviews for CMA CGM America

Good company to get you started

Former Employee - Inbound Vessel Coordinator in Norfolk, VA
Former Employee - Inbound Vessel Coordinator in Norfolk, VA

I worked at CMA CGM America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training, cross-training, and making staff more valuable are the biggest strengths of this company. They are clearly set up to add lots of entry level talent because from day 1 you get classes on everything from their systems to basic shipping industry knowledge. Most new hires get a few days of specific training in their job function as well. CCA really is a great company for recent graduates to get a ton of experience and put a great name on your resume. The benefits package is incredible - by far the least expensive plan I've seen. Least expensive as in 1/4 the cost of everyone else cheap. VERY GOOD. Human Resources is also very helpful if you have any sort of dispute with management or whatever.

Cons

The other side of the coin: the salary is low. CCA hires a lot of recent graduates. Not a lot of these new hires come with shipping experience - and that's OK - but this also allows CCA to pay a lower starting salary. The typical department at CCA has a team leader (maybe), a supervisor, a manager, then a director. That's a lot of levels to climb to get to a position where I figured my pay would be satisfactory, so I decided to leave.

Keep doing what you're doing. Low salaries are an issue if you want to keep the staff you're training. I got great industry experience and was able to quickly find a position elsewhere for much more money. I would have loved to stay at CCA, though.

30 Other Employee Reviews for CMA CGM America (View Most Recent)

Great people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at CMA CGM America

Pros

Very good benefits and management. Always trying to improve processes and procedures.

Cons

Since HQ is in France, a good majority of decisions are made there. The french have a stuffiness to there attitude that makes dealing with them unpleasent.

Cma Cgm is a highly negative place to work that is super political.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I worked at CMA CGM America

Pros

The starting pay is decent, and the benefits package is pretty good. I met some pretty cool people there. I also learned a lot about working in a corporate environment.

Cons

This is the most political place I have ever worked. If you don't have an inside person to pull some strings for you, then your career advancement is null. The atmosphere is constantly negative and stressful. The employees don't get praise for good work, but rather the management is quick to point out negative feedback only. Also, there is a lot of favoritism shown to certain employees, and special benefits are given to those employees. The management has no professionalism. Deception is somewhat expected of management and reinforced by the corporate culture.

Offer a balanced approach to feedback, and teach management how to be managers and take care of all of their people, not just their favorites.

There are newer employer reviews for CMA CGM America