CMP Media
www.ubmtechweb.com San Francisco, CA

The Worst 9 Months of My Life

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
New York, NY

ProsSome nice, really smart people. Good location. Well-read co-workers. Some fun lunches out (pre-recession). Big company with decent benefits. OK about vacation time.

ConsHonestly, I don't know how l lasted so long here. The first round of layoffs came 3 months after I started and that should have been a warning sign. People who had been there 20 years were just dumped. Some people who showed up before 8 and stayed until past 7pm were let go, but others who came in at 11am and left at 5pm were kept. Made no sense. The whole vibe was kind of one that was outdated and there was an acceptance of screaming as a tactic to motivate people. I honestly have never heard yelling like that in an office before. Management was at best inept, and at worse, cruel. It cured me of ever wanting to work in publishing again.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to at least pretend like you care about your employees. If you have to lay them off, at least don't humiliate them in the process. Figure out who does the actual work, before you do the layoffs.

CMP: Great benefits, disorganized company structure

Editor (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

I worked at CMP Media

Pros: CMP Media has a very good benefits package -- IF you take advantage of it. The company allows time off for volunteering, flexible summer hours… Cons: CMP has rebranded itself, restructured its departments, and reclassified its corporate culture so many… Advice to Senior Management: TRAIN middle management better. More

Lazy Lifers Wanted

Production Editor (Former Employee)
    Manhasset, NY

I worked at CMP Media

Pros: I've been there for the good days and the bad days. In the good days, there were tons of perks, bonuses, parties and events, generous… Cons: Low expectations plus high salaries equals a staff full of lazy lifers! It's dull, creatively stifling, and breeds dissatisfaction. Underqualified people often find themselves promoted,… Advice to Senior Management: Raise your expectations and encourage people (positively! not by fear!)… More
There are newer reviews on CMP Media.

Worked for CMP Media? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CMP Media reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CMP Media CEO Tony L. Uphoff. All reviews posted anonymously by CMP Media employees.