CNA
www.cna.com Chicago, IL 5000+ Employees

Lots of opportunities but difficult to grow

Senior IT Analyst (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

ProsAbove average compensation and great effort to differentiate and reward employee performance. Some IT managers are keen to grow their employees and there's lots of opportunities coming up as IT turns to a managed services model of delivery.

ConsWork culture was rather conservative and uptight, which was to be expected from an insurance company. Most people seemed to want to work there for the pay and get out of there whenever possible at the end of the day. So do not expect a friendly and cordial community with that "we're in it together" sort of attitude. More like a place where people would want to retire with a great pay and little change throughout the years.

There's always plenty of opportunities as the organization is changing but with frequent layoffs, teams got smaller and tasks were consolidated to fewer people. Great potential if you are willing to work extra but it might be hard to grow within the same position unless the managers above you leave the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to grow your employees because online training provides little value. Also bridge the gap between senior management and the employees and let them know how the former are growing the company. Also try to build a better work culture.

It was eh

Accountant (Former Employee)

I worked at CNA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Easy and convenient to get to. Pay and benefits are… Cons: Everything else. First job out of college and it was what I thought it would be. There's all this talk about growing but I don't… Advice to Senior Management: Shake up management from the core-down. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Not too bad in 2010 but not so anymore

Project Director (Former Employee)

I worked at CNA for more than 5 years

Pros: cant think of anything positive Cons: Very political and tough place to work at now since… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on CNA.

Worked for CNA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CNA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CNA CEO Tom Motamed. All reviews posted anonymously by CNA employees.