There are newer employer reviews for CNL Software

Don't waste your time...

I worked at CNL Software (more than 3 years)

Pros

Attractive wage
Good stepping stone for young professionals looking to add some industry experience to their résumé.

Cons

Don’t be fooled to thinking this a young hip IT start up, after reading all the hype on CNL’s website about being a ‘a world leader and global provider of Physical Security Information Management (PSIM) software and Integrated Situation Management’ I was excited to be working for a cutting edge company when In reality it’s an old office in a rundown industrial estate in a small pokey town (Knaphill) with no direct train or motorway links.
CNL claim to be Market leader however during my time at the company I saw the real market percentage being considerable less than perceived.

My time at CNL software was predominantly spent resolving product issues inherited from a poor untested original code base. All this effort detracts from adding innovation to the product offering, meaning CNL are not the market leader which they claim.

Unfortunately I feel this company is doomed, Broken promises have left many long term employees disgruntled which majority having now left and a quick Google you will find that even the ‘President of Americas has left’ leaving a rocky road ahead.
100% + staff turnover during my time should of rang alarm bells a lot sooner, being young I wasn’t aware how much greener the grass was on the other side.

Performance reviews, appraisals, pay reviews, bonuses… all are not part of company policy, high manager turnover means that there’s no one line manager who’s been in the position long enough to perform an annual review.

If the CEO would relinquish responsibility and allow managers and employees to guide the company it will make the world of difference

17 Other Employee Reviews for CNL Software (View Most Recent)

A good company to work for that gave me opportunity to apply and grow my skills.

I worked at CNL Software full-time

Pros

Exciting products and customers. Opportunity to do work that really matters. A great team of likeminded people from different backgrounds. Relatively high salaries for the industry and location. I enjoyed my time but had to leave due to a change of personal circumstances. Would apply again if the opportunity arose.

Cons

Not for everyone, but where is? Work was often intense and demanding. Some people have quit because they couldn’t take the pressure. Fewer perks than in a large company but not too different from other SMEs I’ve worked for.

Don’t delay correcting recruitment errors. Not everyone will turn out to be right and those that are not capable enough or don’t have the right attitude are better out than in. Complainers should take a good look at themselves!

Sinking Ship

I worked at CNL Software full-time

Pros

Product is very powerful and could easily make CNL Software a profitable entity given the right management.

High pay for out of London business, with share options available which ultimately are worth nothing used to encourage staff to stay.

Often received small perks for working weekends, but feel this was done on favoritism rather than necessity for motivation.

Opportunity to travel the world

Some very committed individuals are keeping the company and spirit alive.

Cons

During my time at CNL Software I had over 10 managers, often with long periods of other staff filling in whilst a replacement was found. With each manager comes new process' and management styles which leave staff struggling to adopt and demoralizing. Company-wide staff turnover was frankly a joke with people leaving/joining so fast that even within an office of 30 people names were not known.

Majority of long term key skilled staff have left leaving knowledge base all but gone. Key business ethics and values are derived from the CEO/founder who also employees 3 other family members who don’t use English to communicate when in the office which I found extremely rude.

The product was market leader a long time ago, however through high management turnover, lack of product/company leadership, innovation and an experienced product manager they have fallen so far behind I’m not optimistic they will ever recover.

Shortfalls and broken promises made by sales mean development and delivery teams are often under pressure to deliver the achievable in unrealistic timeframes, for this reason quality is over looked with development team in a reactive mode leaving innovation behind. Company oversight on good quality control means majority of the code base is untested and often needs to be re written.
    Management have no concept of staff having a life out of CNL, myself and other were often given less than 24 hours’ notice for long international business trips.

No effort is given to staff development or training, after repeatedly requesting training from each manager during my period there, ultimately each request was blocked by finance and/or top management.

Every employee works well over the allocated weekly hours giving their best to make the company a success, stick and carrot method soon loses its appeal after prolonged periods leaving staff burned out and demotivated.
    Left on my own accord.

Trust your employees they have the company's best interests at heart. Rather that employing anyone to manage a department, spend a little more an employee a professional who can potentially save the business

There are newer employer reviews for CNL Software