Fast paced company

Current Employee - Management  in  Knaphill, England (UK)
Current Employee - Management in Knaphill, England (UK)

I have been working at CNL Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

CNL is a small fast paced company, which demands a lot from its team members, but offer a unique place to accelerate a career. If you have ambition and want to make a mark than this is the place to do it.

I have seen lots of people come through the company, make a huge impact over a number of years and leave to find a role they would ever have been able to get without the experience they had at CNL. It is not an easy ride, some days it can be tough, but at the end of those days, I do feel that I have achieved something significant. If you are like me and want to work in a company that is trying to achieve something no one has done before and where you have the opportunity to push the boundaries of your abilities then consider CNL. If you are happier following a well-trodden path, then consider somewhere else.

The company is fairly flat, so senior management have a good understanding of what everyone is working on, some people see this as negative, but others enjoy the fact that their efforts are seen throughout the company.

Cons

The office is not in the best location, traffic can be bad on some days. The office is also not the newest or best equipped, but it is a good environment to focus on work without distractions.

You can’t please all of the people all of the time, don’t let the actions of a few change a winning formula.

Other Reviews for CNL Software

Glad to have moved on to a Professional Company that cares About Its Employees......

I worked at CNL Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

None that I can think of that have not already been stated by the other valuable contributions from Ex-CNL staff.

Cons

When six full-time staff leave a company in six months and take with them valuable experience and knowledge, it is pretty clear that something fundamental is wrong. Especially when you add these departures to all those full-time staff who left in 2013. For people reading these voluntary contributions, this is not about retribution, it is about sharing our combined experiences of working in an organisation that treats its staff in such a way that the churn rate is typically > 50%.

Everyone knows that the US office for CNL Software Inc was a PO Box, until the entire US team resigned. As for the announcements regarding how wonderful everything is, maybe someone should ask previous and existing customers, some of whom who are still waiting for software fixes and upgrades about their experiences, in order to obtain an accurate picture.

I am sure this review will result in more rhetoric from the owners of CNL, as opposed to reflection and positive change in their management styles or acceptance that they do not have the necessary skills to retain experienced, professional full-time employees. An IT software company without experienced, knowledgeable professionals, is unlikely to succeed in a growingly competitive market.

If you change nothing you run the risk of losing everything.

Don't put your life in the hands of this business

I worked at CNL Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Former reputation of business with large corporate customers looks good on your cv, even if you had little part of it, aided by the Sales and Marketing.

Cons

Sales and Marketing should be renamed to "Smoke and Mirrors" as we're told everything is going great when simple checks outside the business show otherwise. No wonder we're told who we can talk to and who we can not.

Really bad blame culture, there are few friends here and back patting this week can easily become backstabbing the next as most people are simply looking out for themselves. This is not good for the business. If blame can't be passed internally then blame is aimed at those that have left - in some cases years ago. Failing that blaming the customer is always good in the hope that they will stop being a "difficult" customer and leave after paying upfront.

There is no innocent until proven guilty in this business and unfounded accusations are often made with no investigation or few apologies afterwards.

Lack of quality as many developers don't test and the same bugs keep reappearing. Some are all talk and state why they shouldn't be doing a feature, or that its too hard to do. You're paid well over the going rate so if you can't do it then go and do something you can - work in McDonalds where you're not endangering someone's life.

Management have been badly appointed from internal and external inexperienced sources with no leadership skills and often poor technical skills. Combined with no training this is doomed to fail. Several potentially good appointments have been overlooked or made too late to stop staff leaving.

With so many bad management appointments, widespread lack of professionalism and talent, and public domain checks I fear this business is way less than worthless.

Grow up. Seriously.

You're in a serious market place protecting lives - so act like you care and start with your staff. Lack of training, high salary expectations and poor attitude has left many that will struggle to get new employment when they have to.

This is the security business not the protection business so stop running the family Firm, with your "adopted family" Management, with fear and mistrust. It's only Knaphill not London's East End in the 1960's.

Understand that when staff leave quoting "personal reasons" its because you don't listen and being blanked for the last days rather than bullied just makes leaving more comfortable.

There are newer employer reviews for CNL Software.

Worked for CNL Software? Contribute to the Community!