There are newer employer reviews for CNN

Editorial Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY

I worked at CNN as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Looks amazing on resume. Great experience, especially in the bureau during breaking news. IT'S A PAID INTERNSHIP! Learn a lot of tips and tricks just by observing. Easy to meet other interns, great program in general.

Cons

People were welcoming at first but I always noticed catiness (which is normal for any newsroom, especially when people hang out outside the office). There were days when it would be completely dead and then other days when it would get so incredibly crazy (interns are ignored in both situations). I interned on weekends so be prepared when making scheduling to keep it all open during the week or you'll be commuting on a sunday!

I understand interns can be a liability, but especially in this case where we are paid I feel like we weren't taken advantage of. Maybe send us out on shoots more. I used to volunteer but get ignored. Every manager has a different style, some would have us work on assignments, others would tell us to sit tight and wait for something to happen. It was a great experience overall, and I had the chance to help out on shows and also spent some time in the bureau! Advice to future interns--don't be afraid to speak up and talk to people about their position! Unfortunately I'm a shy person sometimes so it was difficult at times but if you're the type that can go up to anyone and shadow them DO IT!

reviews filtered by

Very difficult to move departments

Current Employee - Media Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Media Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at CNN full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice location. Nice building. State of the art equipment.

Cons

Had a very hard time moving to a different department. Had to work 2 jobs at the company for over a year before finally being able to make the transition. HR and hiring managers don't take chances on internal employees.

Give people an opportunity to shine. Ask internal applicants to do the job for a week or two as part of a trial period. If they hit it out of the park, you know they won't fail at the job if hired.

2. Turner Voices Internship for High School Grads

Former Intern - Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Intern - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CNN as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

High pay rate, multi-industry experiences - not only news and media, but business, networking, and entertainment working experiences as well.

Cons

If you're interning at a big company like this for the first time, especially as a student right out of high school, you may not realize that any major opportunities you have as an intern come because you ask about them or put in initiative - know this going in to make the most of a great experience.

Create mandatory mentor relationships for supervisors and their interns for lasting connections.

There are newer employer reviews for CNN