CNN
www.cnn.com Atlanta, GA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Forget performance, all about personality at Turner

I have been working at CNN

ProsGreat perks and discounts; really solid insurance coverage, capable, compassionate coworkers who crave the ability to do their jobs well and receive recognition for it.

ConsIt's who you know, not what you know. Just be aware of that going in to Turner. Make sure you never mention anyone's incompetencies or errors because you become the trouble maker. The in-crowd can make huge errors.... errors that wind up in trade media and ridiculed on line. A less popular person, but more capable person can make a minor mistake, like misspelling a name, and get written up. But the talent can go on air unprepared or just report errors and STILL work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet performance and not personality become more important in making decisions about promotion and career development. A person shouldn;t be able to talk and schmooze their way into senior management, vice presidency and SVP roles. Require accountability and measure performance.

Slipping down hill

Senior Editor (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at CNN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: The people that you will work with day to day… Cons: The mid level and senior management are lost. Advice to Senior Management: go down stairs and stand on the train tracks the… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great job until the end when things got painful.

Senior Producer (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at CNN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Salaries are great, benefits are as well. You're on the… Cons: Management structure is out of control, too many cooks in… Advice to Senior Management: Be more interactive with direct reports. Don't manage from… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on CNN.

Worked for CNN? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CNN reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CNN CEO Jeff Zucker. All reviews posted anonymously by CNN employees.