CNN

There are newer employer reviews for CNN

Not the Best

Former Employee - Administrative in New York, NY
Former Employee - Administrative in New York, NY

I worked at CNN full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, nice location (that's really all I have but there's a twenty word minimum on this site so I wrote this)

Cons

Our dept head was awful- cold, not really into teamwork, hired friends from the outside. Admin staff report to an internal group called NGBA which is a nightmare. This group enables executives bad behavior and will write you up constantly. They work closely with HR (another nightmare) so you're basically stuck with no advocate if your boss behaves badly.

Get rid of NGBA. Hold your executives accountable. Overhaul HR.

170 Other Employee Reviews for CNN (View Most Recent)

Forget performance, all about personality at Turner

I have been working at CNN

Pros

Great perks and discounts; really solid insurance coverage, capable, compassionate coworkers who crave the ability to do their jobs well and receive recognition for it.

Cons

It's who you know, not what you know. Just be aware of that going in to Turner. Make sure you never mention anyone's incompetencies or errors because you become the trouble maker. The in-crowd can make huge errors.... errors that wind up in trade media and ridiculed on line. A less popular person, but more capable person can make a minor mistake, like misspelling a name, and get written up. But the talent can go on air unprepared or just report errors and STILL work there.

Let performance and not personality become more important in making decisions about promotion and career development. A person shouldn;t be able to talk and schmooze their way into senior management, vice presidency and SVP roles. Require accountability and measure performance.

Editorial Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at CNN as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Looks amazing on resume. Great experience, especially in the bureau during breaking news. IT'S A PAID INTERNSHIP! Learn a lot of tips and tricks just by observing. Easy to meet other interns, great program in general.

Cons

People were welcoming at first but I always noticed catiness (which is normal for any newsroom, especially when people hang out outside the office). There were days when it would be completely dead and then other days when it would get so incredibly crazy (interns are ignored in both situations). I interned on weekends so be prepared when making scheduling to keep it all open during the week or you'll be commuting on a sunday!

I understand interns can be a liability, but especially in this case where we are paid I feel like we weren't taken advantage of. Maybe send us out on shoots more. I used to volunteer but get ignored. Every manager has a different style, some would have us work on assignments, others would tell us to sit tight and wait for something to happen. It was a great experience overall, and I had the chance to help out on shows and also spent some time in the bureau! Advice to future interns--don't be afraid to speak up and talk to people about their position! Unfortunately I'm a shy person sometimes so it was difficult at times but if you're the type that can go up to anyone and shadow them DO IT!

There are newer employer reviews for CNN