Lacking

Former Employee - Relief Site Support in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Relief Site Support in Portland, OR

I worked at CODA

Pros

Good place to self-teach skills, and get out. Apply the experience elsewhere.

Cons

Internal communication is disjointed at best. High turnover, employee morale low. Lack of protocol regarding training, and onslaught of responsibility foisted upon new employees leaves them overwhelmed highlighting their underpaid positions.

Advice to Management

Take the time, and spend the money to develop stream-lined protocol for communication, authority and seek input from ALL levels in the company (front-line to site management).

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. A great place to learn

Current Employee - Clinician
    Current Employee - Clinician

I have been working at CODA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CODA is a terrific place to grow. For a new clinician the turnover and lack of clear direction gives one an opportunity to do things that wouldn't be possible (or allowed) at other agencies. I gained more experience in two years than I would have received in five years anywhere else. The clients are wonderful.

Cons

...but all that learning comes at a pretty high price - in stress, overwork, and in chaos. Lack of clear leadership, and directives constantly changing with changes in personnel is crazy making. The pay is the worst in this market.

Advice to Management

Go out into your sites and find out what you employees actually do every day. The fact that you were a clinician twenty years ago doesn't mean you truly understand what your people need.

Great training and education support for an early professional. Wish I could have taken my supervisor with me

Former Employee - Behavioral Health Counselor I in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Behavioral Health Counselor I in Portland, OR

I worked at CODA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They believe in the science behind the work and really stand behind it. I learned way more about my profession in the 3 years working there than I did in 4 years of college, mostly through CODA Academy and my supervisor - I moved, but have stayed in touch.

Cons

As a not-for-profit, it's not always possible to provide free services. The work is really difficult, the patients don't always get better. Burn-out and turn over are high.

Advice to Management

Your benefit package is good, but people don't use it properly. Teach them how to care for themselves and to be proud of the people getting well. It's too easy to focus on the ones that don't.