Top notch organization! One of the best companies to work for in Los Angeles

Former Employee - Regional Director in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Regional Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at COPE Health Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CAREER GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES - immense opportunity for professional growth and promotions - experience at COPE Health Solutions will distinguish you as a more competitive/marketable candidate for future employment in other organizations - company leadership makes a strong investment in employees' professional development via company-wide retreats, company-sponsored seminars, encouragement to attend conferences, etc COMPANY CULTURE - unmatched organizational culture: fast-paced, motivating, ambitious, bright & hard-charging team members, enjoyable professional experience - strong focus on excellent quality of work (which contributes to the company's excellent reputation among clients) - team members are always recognized and rewarded for excellent performance - all team members come from impressive educational and professional backgrounds TYPE OF WORK - all divisions of the company work with top notch organizations (clients include: hospitals, medical groups, health systems, etc) - you have the opportunity to get involved in cross-divisional projects and explore various areas of healthcare (ie: hospital operations and service line management, healthcare policy, integrated delivery network development and implementation, physician practice and network level care delivery redesign, Lean/Six Sigma process improvement, talent development, strategic planning, etc)

Cons

TIME COMMITMENT - similar to most top notch consulting firms, you need to be willing and ready to put in many hours during the week and on weekends (in exchange, you'll have an unmatched experience that propels your career forward very quickly); with that said, once you have a flow to your time management, it's definitely possible to have the right work-life balance. COMPANY HIERARCHY - the organization is quite flat; therefore, you often times may take on work that could be performed by an entry-level staff member. I'm sure that as the company continues to grow, more layers will be added to the hierarchy to redistribute duties (ie: introduce additional entry-level and middle management positions).

Advice to Management

Given that the company is growing exponentially each year, it'll be critical to build the infrastructure/human capital to sustain the growth - perhaps investing in additional entry-level and middle management positions will be essential for maintaining the excellent quality of work and company reputation.

COPE Health Solutions Response

Dec 19, 2014 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your honest and detailed feedback, we are working hard to build COPE Health Solutions into one of LA's Best Places to Work!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

All-consuming job, but exceptional opportunities for the right person

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at COPE Health Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Awesome projects and work: What first attracted me to COPE Health Solutions was the type of work this company does. It’s hands-on, innovative, exciting, and I truly believe the work is making a positive impact not just for clients, but the health care industry as a whole. COPE Health Solutions provides staff with the opportunity to design and manage large projects themselves, which isn’t something afforded to relatively junior employees at other companies (although this does come with some downsides as listed in the next section). 2. Amazing circle of team members: I’ve never worked with an organization where the staff was so consistently remarkable – they are brilliant, energetic, and intelligent with unparalleled work ethic. If you’ve ever worked with less than competent team members, you’ll especially appreciate this. The people here have challenged and pushed me since my first day at the company. 3. Mentorship: From my time at other companies, I’ve learned that true mentorship is a rare thing to find because of the personal investment it takes from the mentor. I’ve had the opportunity to work side-by-side and learn from some of the best people in the field at COPE Health Solutions, including the CEO, who is an absolute visionary. (The CEO also helped set me up with other health care leaders outside the company for mentorship.) The caveat is that the CEO is very blunt with his feedback. As other people have mentioned, this sometimes manifests as unfiltered criticism, some of which is warranted (although still not fun to hear) and some of which can seem overblown. This was a price I was willing to pay for the opportunity to grow and learn under the guidance of experts. 4. Generous compensation: Compared to other healthcare/public health organizations, I think COPE Health Solutions offers a generous compensation package. Starting salaries for entry-level positions may seem comparable to other companies, but raises happen on an ongoing basis. For more established employees, the salary potential is very high. The company is also supportive of personal issues such as family illness – as long as you can make arrangements so that there’s minimal interruption to your work. 5. Beautiful office: This might seem like a minor point, but if I’m going to be spending a significant amount of time somewhere, the facilities makes a difference. Newly renovated downtown space with exposed brick and cool architectural details. Every single office has a window with an amazing view. 6. Networking opportunities: The CEO is one of the very best networkers I’ve ever seen in person. He's great at helping employees network as he’s very generous with sharing his network and encourages (sometimes demands) employees to participate in networking opportunities, from major meetings to client galas.

Cons

1. All-consuming: This IS an all-consuming job. It’s not so much that you're required to be in the office all the time (although there are occasional meetings/events during early mornings, late evenings, and on weekends), but each person is responsible for a large amount of work and plays a key role on important projects. The company tends to hire dedicated, responsible individuals who want their projects to succeed so they do whatever it takes and put in as much time as needed to get the work done well -- because the alternative is that the project could fail. This translates into a lot of hours. The first thing I do each morning is check my work phone for emails. The last thing I do before I go to bed is check my work phone. The expectation is for staff to respond to emails during the weekend unless previous notice is given – and most people are responding to emails during PTO and vacations as well. Even when I’m not doing work, my brain is often obsessing over what could be done better, client politics that need to be managed, business development opportunities to pursue, outstanding tasks and issues, upcoming deadlines, etc. 2. Sink or swim: There is absolutely no handholding here, even with new employees. Structured support, reassurance, and clear instructions on projects and roles aren’t currently things that can be automatically expected. It’s also not uncommon for staff to be working on challenging initiatives where there’s no blueprint for how to proceed and minimal day-to-day supervision. This can be stressful and frustrating – and people who desire concrete plans, structured methods of work, and clear markers of success (which is probably most entry-level/junior professionals) can flounder. 3. Power is very concentrated: Like another poster mentioned, company decisions of any importance are made by the CEO (although decisions on projects are often trusted to the project lead). The CEO will take input from his executive and management team, but in the end, his decision overrides everything else. The CEO is very fast-paced and can make decisions in the spur of the moment. Another consequence of the concentrated power is that if you’re on the CEO’s bad side, it’s difficult to do well at the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to establish organizational structures that improve employee supervision, training, growth, and satisfaction.

2. Great place for growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at COPE Health Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

COPE Health Solutions is a vibrant, dynamic and innovative social entrepreneurship. It's small size makes it easy to get to know team members at all levels and be recognized for your accomplishments. Employees have the opportunity to lead projects from start to finish. The company invests in the growth and professional development of employees at all levels. The company also values team-building and encourages cross-divisional interactions to ensure knowledge sharing, transparency and a supportive team environment.

Cons

This isn't a turn key environment with a database full of templates or step-by-step policies to follow. This isn't a highly structured work environment. Employees must be ready to hit the ground running, take initiative and be innovative.

Advice to Management

Continue to engage team members ensuring they understand how their role contributes to the company vision.