There are newer employer reviews for CR England

Decent place to work, pay can be good

Former Employee - Operations in Salt Lake City, UT
Former Employee - Operations in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at CR England full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of really good people to work with. Some of the positions can pay well.Good training for some of the positions. Upper management is accessible.

Cons

Pay scales are kept private and are very inconsistent within each position/department. Bonus structures change frequently. When someone is going to vacate a position, management doesn't make it known until they have already chosen the replacement. so unless you're "in", your chances to get promoted are slim. PTO is "as you earn it". You can't borrow it and actually use your vacation time throughout the year.

Be consistent in pay for each position. Open up positions for everyone to be able to put their names in the hat - stop with the "behind closed doors" promotion plans. Establish a policy to allow people to use PTO before they earn it. It's simple: if you quit before you earn what you've used, it will be deducted from your final pay.

96 Other Employee Reviews for CR England (View Most Recent)

New Driver Experience/School

I have been working at CR England (less than an year)

Pros

Experienced and Knowledgeable Instructors: I'm taking the course in Fontana, Ca and I can tell you that the Instructors here are great. Rich and Mike (the two instructors I've had the most experience with) are both very good at their job. If you are able to pay attention and grasp concepts you'll do excellent.

The school provides most of your needs while here. Housing, transportation to and from the school, and excellent training. There is A LOT of information that they give you in a very short time and you need to be able to take the materiel they give you and study it. The trucks you learn on are pretty new (within a couple of years)

If CREngland is paying your tuition and you fail any portion of the course or are disqualified for whatever reason you won't have to pay back the company. However you will need to pay your own way home. They will try hard to work with you to get you to pass the course but you should know how to study the material they give you to learn while not in class because there is a lot to know. My class size was very large (80-100ppl first day) and they just don't have the time to answer every question raised during classroom time and still cover the material. Almost all the questions asked during my class the answer could be found in the material they give us.

I know some of you are thinking that if the class size was that large and they run classes every week then there must be some kind of Scam. There isn't. My first roommate went home after only 3 hrs after finding out how long he was going to be gone from home because he didn't do any research prior to coming to the school. By the end of the first week my class size was cut by 1/2 due to a wide variety of reasons. Drop out during the first few days of school was high and the turnover for new Drivers throughout the industry is approx. 2 yrs. Also once you become a driver it is very easy to lose your job through negligence because the State and Local governments are pretty strict for both trucks and drivers. As a Professional Driver you are held to a high standard and it doesn't take much to get "Black Listed" from driving if you are unsafe.

Cons

Not Enough Pre-School Info: The recruiter is there to get you to the school. Unfortunately there is some information they should be asking and telling you that they don't until after you get to the school. Most importantly is your DMV driving record. I HIGHLY recommend going to the DMV and finding out if you have any "Holds/Suspensions" on your license!! If you do, you'll need to get them taken care of prior to school. By the middle of the first week you'll be taking your CDL Permit test and won't be able to continue if you can't get it. Holds/Suspensions can come from unpaid tickets (Including OTHER STATES!!), having an UnRegistered Vehicle (even if it doesn't drive, you'll need to get an "Non-OP Registration", Child Support, Bench Warrants, ETC.

Another important fact that they gloss over quickly is that from the time you get to the school until your first Opportunity to get "Home Time" is probably going to be about TWO MONTHS. The class will be 17 days + 30 days on the road with a Trainer + another 14-17 days in Phase 2 Training. Don't expect to get home for approximately 60 days once you get to school. Going to this School and becoming a Driver is a commitment to A LOT of time away so be prepared to spend only a couple of days at home per Month.

CREngland is providing paid for training so that THEY can hire you. If your planning on going to the school and then working for someone else you will end up paying for your schooling yourself and there are probably cheaper ways of doing that if you don't plan on working for CREngland. You will sign a contract that if you leave Employment prior to the contract date then you will owe the balance of your tuition ($3000 approx).

Recruiters need to be more upfront about expectations and requirements to potential new drivers.

Instructors should be more critical of students and hold them accountable. The company could probably do a better job of weeding out "weak" students who aren't going to be "safe" drivers because they can't learn the material in a timely manner.

Horrible Company, Dishonest, and GREEDY

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at CR England full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None that come to mind.

Cons

I worked for this company as a Dedicated Account Supervisor. England treats their drivers like crap! They change the pay scale so they make barely enough to survive, and change it again if anyone makes a decent living. They are dishonest and above all greedy. They lie when former employees file an unemployment claim.

They expect managers and supervisors to work 24/7, and respond to emails in the middle of the night. When you ask for a raise, the Dedicated VP's response???....I should have asked for it up front, because that is all I m getting.

Although a large company, they experienced a round of significant layoffs and a hiring freeze. They bid dedicated account business super low just to land the account, and then expect a supervisor to successfully run the operation with two hands tied behind their back. Absolutely NO SUPPORT!

I don't know how you sleep at night, and to think you try to fool everyone with you "religious beliefs!!!! Seriously!!!!

There are newer employer reviews for CR England