Good benefits, outdated work and career stalemate

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CSG Systems International

Pros

CSG has an attractive benefits package and a casual work environment. I was doing Microsoft .NET development in a consultant role. Essentially, there is a core group of developers that creates a suite of CRM applications that are then shopped around to ISPs to manager their user accounts and provide a billing platform. Often it's necessary to integrate into the clients legacy billing systems. The core application is rather complex and it allowed me to gain an understanding of writing software at an enterprise level that academia could only allude to. I met a few great people that crossed out of the work friend boundary and into the "person I actually give a damn about outside work" category.

It was nice to have MSDN licenses and work with relatively current technology. There is ample paid time off. Many company events at nice restaurants and bars.

Cons

No chance for career advancement. Promotions were impossible to come by. In my three year stint only one of the developers in my department was promoted to "senior software engineer". Otherwise there are a bunch of chiefs sitting in their offices holding their ground. The core application team seemed to be antagonistic toward the custom team, the ones who actually customized the core app so that it could fit the needs of the client and make the company money. It all felt very cliquey. I'm the type of person who weaves in between many social groups because I can see people for who they are outside of the group they exist within. Management was ill suited. I've had a range of managers from code guru with little social skills to self proclaimed "hands off" manager who really didn't seem to be that interested in the people that reported to him.

Many of the projects I was placed on involved working with very old legacy code, which I felt set me back in regard to keeping my skill set current. There was also a lot of bench time and bench projects to occupy us that ultimately were canned. Morale in my department became extremely low and many developers found new jobs elsewhere. I would prefer to work on one project of large scope and complexity than several one-off rinky dink projects. I never understood the social rifts between the core developers, custom developers and developers in other departments.

Promote people.

Other Reviews for CSG Systems International

Not a bad place to work - stable (but perhaps too stable?)

Former Employee - Director of Professional Services  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Director of Professional Services in Omaha, NE

I worked at CSG Systems International

Pros

Solid company - they have been around for a long time and are profitable. Large enough that there are at least some advancement opportunities, but small enough to be somewhat agile. Very focused on taking care of customers. Great people, especially in customer-facing roles.

Cons

Stability, which is good, but also makes it somewhat boring. Promotions are hard to come by, at least in the manager-director levels (perhaps because it's a conservative-minded midwestern company and folks like their jobs just enough to stay). Biggest customers continue to demand more and more from CSG, and the company tends to try to do more work with the same number of people, which can lead to burnout.

Do a better job of career-pathing your top performers - establish more formal employee development programs. Take some risk by growing the business outside of cable in a bigger way than the few small mergers they have done.

All in all, not a bad place to work

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Cambridge, MA

I worked at CSG Systems International

Pros

Working in a consulting group probably didn't give me the best impression of the rest of the company, but my group was full of smart, talented people who prided themselves on doing a good job.
    Although my travel schedule was at times brutal, there was no punching the clock when I was home. I could work from home whenever I wanted and nobody minded.
    The benefits seemed comparable to what I could have gotten at any other area company.

Cons

Although my group always remained the same, it seemed like there were constant re-orgs above us.

If you want people to stay at the company, you have to train them.

There are newer employer reviews for CSG Systems International.

Worked for CSG Systems International? Contribute to the Community!