There are newer employer reviews for CSG Systems International

Neutral

Former Employee - Technical Manager  in  Omaha, NE
Former Employee - Technical Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at CSG Systems International

Pros

Financially they are a sound company with a great business model. peer support is terrific. Pay is above average for the industry and location. Very family friendly.

Cons

In some areas of the company the way projects are handled is very casual. There is no structure to understanding the pros and cons of deciding on a project, the execution of the project and the follow up.
Often there is a paralysis of execution for routine tasks because of the overwhelming amount documentation required.

Senior mgmt does not do a good job of understanding and appreciating the work effort of the empoyees.

Senior management needs to do a better job of recognizing, understanding and appreciating the effort put forth by their employees.

51 Other Employee Reviews for CSG Systems International (View Most Recent)

Can't imagine leaving CSG

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at CSG Systems International

Pros

As the saying goes, CSG has been very, very good to me ;-) I move to CSG several years ago from the banking industry and have rarely regretted that decision. CSG has offered me steady, secure employment, which is in short supply today. Although there have been some rocky roads regarding an occasional project or reporting manager, the work atmosphere I'm working in is healthy and supportive. Plus they pay well and they pay every two weeks!

Cons

I've worked on the occasional project where the team was not functioning well and the team members’ attitudes were negative. Eventually those projects were closed and the teams disbanded. In my opinion, most of those projects should have died months before they did.

Management is doing a fine job now and I would ask that they do two things:
    - Keep valuing your employees because they are your most important resource.
    - Keep the lines of communication open with the rank and file.

Good benefits, outdated work and career stalemate

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CSG Systems International

Pros

CSG has an attractive benefits package and a casual work environment. I was doing Microsoft .NET development in a consultant role. Essentially, there is a core group of developers that creates a suite of CRM applications that are then shopped around to ISPs to manager their user accounts and provide a billing platform. Often it's necessary to integrate into the clients legacy billing systems. The core application is rather complex and it allowed me to gain an understanding of writing software at an enterprise level that academia could only allude to. I met a few great people that crossed out of the work friend boundary and into the "person I actually give a damn about outside work" category.

It was nice to have MSDN licenses and work with relatively current technology. There is ample paid time off. Many company events at nice restaurants and bars.

Cons

No chance for career advancement. Promotions were impossible to come by. In my three year stint only one of the developers in my department was promoted to "senior software engineer". Otherwise there are a bunch of chiefs sitting in their offices holding their ground. The core application team seemed to be antagonistic toward the custom team, the ones who actually customized the core app so that it could fit the needs of the client and make the company money. It all felt very cliquey. I'm the type of person who weaves in between many social groups because I can see people for who they are outside of the group they exist within. Management was ill suited. I've had a range of managers from code guru with little social skills to self proclaimed "hands off" manager who really didn't seem to be that interested in the people that reported to him.

Many of the projects I was placed on involved working with very old legacy code, which I felt set me back in regard to keeping my skill set current. There was also a lot of bench time and bench projects to occupy us that ultimately were canned. Morale in my department became extremely low and many developers found new jobs elsewhere. I would prefer to work on one project of large scope and complexity than several one-off rinky dink projects. I never understood the social rifts between the core developers, custom developers and developers in other departments.

Promote people.

There are newer employer reviews for CSG Systems International

Worked for CSG Systems International? Contribute to the Community!