CSX

www.csx.com
There are newer employer reviews for CSX

I've been working on the railroad, all the live long day

Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Clifton Forge, VA
Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Clifton Forge, VA

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fairly decent pay and benefits. I say fairly because if you start dividing hours involved into the money made, it not as good as it may look at first.

Cons

I'm not sure there is enough room on this page. If you read through all the reviews for CSX on Glassdoor, you will notice a definate pattern. Those who work in an office type environment or regular hours (Mon-Fri, 8 hrs a day) tend to have a favorable opinion of the CSX. Those who work in the Transportation Department -T&E (Trainmen and Engineers), as I do, almost always have a poor opinion of CSX.
 At any rate I've been with CSX for 10+ years. I have never in my life worked for a company where there is so much animosity between management and the frontline labor force. It is definately a hostile, them against us environment. These flames are fanned on a regular basis by poorly qualified low and mid level managers.
 The hours are long and unpredictable. 12 hour days are not uncommon and you will most likely be on call 24 hrs per day. With the exception of yard jobs, you will seldom go to, or get off work at the same time. You may get called at 23:00 and be expected to work till 11:00 the next morning. The next time you may be called to work 11:00 until 23:00. It is a NEVER ENDING case of jet lag. Depending on the job, you will likely get 1 day off per week or 2 days off every other week. It is unlikely that your day or days off will include a Saturday or Sunday. Again unless you are working a yard job, there is no such thing as a holiday. Trainmen (Conductor) and Engineer jobs are seldom beneficial to ones health or relationships (spouse, family and friends). You may think that all that travel and rail riding sounds fun and exciting, but going back and forth between the same points over and over quickly becomes monotonous/tedious.
I could go on with detail after detail about the "cons" but I think you may be getting my point. Over all if you are considering a job with CSX, look for one with regular hours and days off in a department other than Transportation. Avoid Conductor and Engineer jobs.

Listen to your frontline, non-management employees. They likely hold one of the keys to CSX's true success.

206 Other Employee Reviews for CSX (View Most Recent)

Market Manager

I worked at CSX

Pros

Great location in florida and the weather

Cons

slow progression through the various management levels

A lot of games... Not for professionals

Former Employee - Trainmaster in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Trainmaster in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at CSX full-time

Pros

If you like working outdoors there is plenty of that. (Note: if you don't like working outdoors, just add this and only real "pro" to the exceedingly long list of cons.

Cons

There are far too many cons to this industry, company, and job to list in this space. So I will highlight a few that had a profound impact on my experience:
    1) Functional silos - ensuring the movement of tons of freight across your territiory safely and on time while working cross functionally is a pipe dream
    2) Corporate culture - cultivated by fear and frat house traditions
    3) Operational leadership- leaders in the field do not pocess the skills and abilities to manage employees or make sound buisness decisions
    4) Double talk - status quo is not only expected its how you survive
    5) "People make the difference" - the biggest myth at CSX is that you matter to the organization, in reality you and your opinions are meaningless and any attempt to affect change through postive contribution is futile. You are a number... take your geographical assignment, ask no questions and pray no one gets injured during your "watch."

My advice to management and HR is to read this post...

More importantly is my advice to prospective job candidates, if you are looking for a rewarding career in which you will grow in the transportation or supply chain industry while making a profound impact... BEWARE this is not the opportunity you seek.

There are newer employer reviews for CSX