There are newer employer reviews for CSX

You have the ability to personally and professionally grow within a dynamic organization.

Current Employee - Freight Conductor
Current Employee - Freight Conductor

I have been working at CSX full-time

Pros

Benefits (health, vision, dental), retirement, Union representation (for craft workers), Safe working atmosphere, ability to move up if so desired

Cons

Long hours, inconsistent "family time"

reviews filtered by

Great Benefits for the employees

Current Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CSX as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Work and Culture is very nice.

Cons

Not hiring international Masters' students for Regular Full-Time

Advice to Management

To have good, talented and experienced employees for the company, the company should hire international students too.

I've been working on the railroad, all the live long day

Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Clifton Forge, VA
    Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Clifton Forge, VA

I have been working at CSX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fairly decent pay and benefits. I say fairly because if you start dividing hours involved into the money made, it not as good as it may look at first.

Cons

I'm not sure there is enough room on this page. If you read through all the reviews for CSX on Glassdoor, you will notice a definate pattern. Those who work in an office type environment or regular hours (Mon-Fri, 8 hrs a day) tend to have a favorable opinion of the CSX. Those who work in the Transportation Department -T&E (Trainmen and Engineers), as I do, almost always have a poor opinion of CSX.
     At any rate I've been with CSX for 10+ years. I have never in my life worked for a company where there is so much animosity between management and the frontline labor force. It is definately a hostile, them against us environment. These flames are fanned on a regular basis by poorly qualified low and mid level managers.
     The hours are long and unpredictable. 12 hour days are not uncommon and you will most likely be on call 24 hrs per day. With the exception of yard jobs, you will seldom go to, or get off work at the same time. You may get called at 23:00 and be expected to work till 11:00 the next morning. The next time you may be called to work 11:00 until 23:00. It is a NEVER ENDING case of jet lag. Depending on the job, you will likely get 1 day off per week or 2 days off every other week. It is unlikely that your day or days off will include a Saturday or Sunday. Again unless you are working a yard job, there is no such thing as a holiday. Trainmen (Conductor) and Engineer jobs are seldom beneficial to ones health or relationships (spouse, family and friends). You may think that all that travel and rail riding sounds fun and exciting, but going back and forth between the same points over and over quickly becomes monotonous/tedious.
    I could go on with detail after detail about the "cons" but I think you may be getting my point. Over all if you are considering a job with CSX, look for one with regular hours and days off in a department other than Transportation. Avoid Conductor and Engineer jobs.

Advice to Management

Listen to your frontline, non-management employees. They likely hold one of the keys to CSX's true success.

There are newer employer reviews for CSX