There are newer employer reviews for CTB/McGraw-Hill, LLC

Former Employee Speaks Out

I worked at CTB/McGraw-Hill, LLC

Pros

Pay for middle management positions is generally comparable to that offered by other similar companies--But the greatest reward came from knowing that, via sound assessments, employees could have a positive influence on education across the country.

Cons

Lack of respect and appreciation by management for its employees; requirement to be available and/or working 24/7. People are held accountable for factors over which they have no authority or control.

It has been well documented that praise and acknowledgement are superior to money as rewards to employees. CTB falls far short of doing this. Badgering and belittling are common tactics for some managers, and employees do not respond well to these management techniques.

44 Other Employee Reviews for CTB/McGraw-Hill, LLC (View Most Recent)

Contractor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA

I worked at CTB/McGraw-Hill, LLC as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I thoroughly enjoyed the position and the people I worked with on a daily basis. My first week I was stopped in the hallway and coffee room by people who recognized I was new, introduced themselves and welcomed me warmly. Even the CEO spoke kindly and in a friendly manner to me, recognizing me as a contractor, as we walked out to the parking lot. She could have just said HELLO and kept on walking in silence but did not...that shows her strong caring and leadership.

Cons

As a contractor, you are only allowed to work one year on and then must leave for a year before you may be able to return. This is good AND bad. It is good so the company doesn't keep you on indefinitely as a contractor but not so good if the contractor enjoyed their job and doesn't mind working as a contractor for more than a year.

If you have your management train a contractor, keep them on for one year, it is a waste of talent to have them for a full year. If the position is accepted with the understanding of it only being a contractor, and accepted by the contractor, don't lose good, trained talent in such a short period of time.

ok to work

I have been working at CTB/McGraw-Hill, LLC full-time

Pros

they offer flexible hours and that's a great plus. Generally people are nice to work with and there are good collaborations.

Cons

old IT infrastructure sometimes cause issues with current technology. IT needs to improve quickly to catch up the constantly changing demand.

There are newer employer reviews for CTB/McGraw-Hill, LLC