CVS Pharmacy: Not a bad place to work.

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Mount Dora, FL
Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Mount Dora, FL

I worked at CVS Caremark part-time for more than a year

Pros

Almost all of the pharmacists and technicians I worked with were friendly and very competent, which makes any job infinitely nicer.

Apparently the pay for full time technicians who have been with the company make a very decent salary for retail technicians.

CVS paid for all of my training, and also offers technicians a free shot at taking the PTCB.

Free flu shots.

Managers were very friendly and worked around my school schedule.

Opportunities to pick up extra hours at nearby stores.

Cons

If you aren't hired on as a full-time technician, you can't become one unless you work for 6 months straight at over 32 hours a week.

Salary is initially very low ($7.85 an hour jumping up to $8.50 after my state licensure)

Working at stores with less competent coworkers significantly increases amount of stress.

Seemingly very little opportunity for advancement.

Staff slower stores with new employees so that they can learn everything, not just production or pick-up. Rotate skilled employees out to busier stores.

Pay your technicians better. I can start working in the Walmart deli cutting meat for almost $9 an hour, a job that requires significantly less training and responsibility.

Other Reviews for CVS Caremark

Pretty good

Current Employee - Store Clerk  in  East Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Store Clerk in East Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at CVS Caremark part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

fun work environment, managers listen to your opinions, flexible schedule, good place to develop work skills (good starting point for young people)

Cons

often understaffed, not enough pay considering the amount of work, may be given the duties of a certain position but not the title (and therefore not the pay)

Advice for my own store management: Although young people are easily trainable and can be paid less, the fact that most employees at my store are young and cannot stay long-term or work mornings due to their school schedules makes for a high turnover rate. Perhaps hire more people who have finished their schooling and show more long-term potential.

Advice for corporate: It would be nice if we could get new photo machines, because ours break all the time and then customers get upset if their photos aren't ready on time due to broken equipment. Also, it would be great to make employees' lives easier by updating the register system to have more product info searchable on our registers, such as sales on items in previous weeks. The ability to return an item and buy another in one transaction, rather than do the two separately and be forced to give a customer a money card only to use it immediately, would save time (and plastic) and overall be easier for both employee and customer.

No Love for the employee

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B  in  Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Berkeley, CA

I worked at CVS Caremark full-time for more than a year

Pros

The job itself is not too difficult. You end up getting a lot of experience in many different areas that can be transferred to other opportunities.

Cons

As a supervisor, you are run ragged. You are doing everything that the associates do as well as almost everything that the managers do. You are also repeatedly ignored when you request more hours for the store to allow for more coverage for the day or when noticing problems and offering solutions.

Please listen to your associates and supervisor. They tend to know what they are talking about when they see an issue in the store. You really need to have a larger team on the floor at all times. This will make employees happier which will in turn make customers happier.

There are newer employer reviews for CVS Caremark.

Worked for CVS Caremark? Contribute to the Community!