CVS Caremark

www.cvscaremark.com

Store Manager

Store Manager (Current Employee) Oceanside, NY

ProsIt is good money. The health benefits are ok. The store discount is ok 20% off national brand products & 30% off store band (if they are not on sale.

ConsManagement training is bad & out dated. Every manager I know did not feel they had been trained properly… but to be fair it is a sink or swim business being a retail manager.

Depending on the location there can be high turnover with the store staff & there is tremendous red tape with hiring someone & with the store payroll hours fluctuating form month to month you can A) Find yourself with a small team not being able to do the work load or B) With a large team & going over on pay roll (Make sure to try to have a good mix of Full-time & Part-time staff so you can expand & contract).

Each store location runs differently. Some stores have Assistant Managers, Beauty Managers, Photo Managers, Merchandisers working under you & some DO NOT… It all depends on how the Regional Manager, District Manager & Store Managers setup the store from it’s inception & how it panned out. So if you come in behind a poor manager that did not develop people YOU may be doing everything (so move fast at cleaning up the store & get rid of the dead wait in the team & get new pepole soon because there is zero room for spectators… everyone needs to be a player)

Advice to Senior ManagementA) Stop coming out with NEW programs just for the sake of change. The time spent Rolling out, Traning, Implementing, Tracking the new programs could be spent Servicing the customers, Stocking the shelves & Developing the team.
- When you must come out with a new program ask your self… what does it fix?
Then replace the obsolete program… Do not keep adding to them.

B) Do not treat every store in the chain the same & hold them to the same expectations. I 100% agree a Corp needs standards. But if there is a store in the shadow of Manhattan making over 100k a week & has a 20 thousand new faced customers pass thought there doors & a store in upstate NY is making 40k a week & services the town population of 8 thousand… We can not call that Applies to Applies It is more like Applies to Orchards. I say this because every month you ask 50 customers to grade the Store (agro the manager)…statically & geographically the Small-CVS in the Small Town USA has an extreme advantage due to every 160th transaction is being surveyed… meanwhile in City-CVS in City USA every 500th customer is being surveyed… not to mention in Small Town USA the manager & cashier went to school with the customer & in City USA the cashier may never see most of their customers twice.
So to rap up it all up I a bow… If you put 1 apple in a juicer you are going to get apple juice… If you put an Orchard in a juicer… you break the juicer. So give out the surveys based on customers count… or do not expect consistency in you data

Not always transparent about their plans...

Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at CVS Caremark full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: schedule flexibility and overtime benefits Cons: lack of clarity in intentions for future Advice to Senior Management: respect given is respect earned No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Consistant work, but low compensation

Lead Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) Wayne, PA

I worked at CVS Caremark full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Always have work Good managers at my store Cons: LOW pay Little opportunity for advancement in Pharmacy Tech positions Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on CVS Caremark.

Worked for CVS Caremark? Contribute to the Community!