CVS Health

Best place to work

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Great job, great people. Management always willing to pitch in and help. The pharmacy where I work is very busy, and when I started I was impressed by the way everyone pitched in to help get me trained. I have been here for 5 years, and I don't ever want to leave. I used to work at another chain drug store, but the atmosphere there was horrible, someone was always looking over your shoulder trying to catch you doing something wrong. At CVS, we have a lot of metrics and reports, but the way we use them is to help us provide better service to our customers.

Cons

Customers are sometimes hard to deal with, but they are not feeling well, so we take that into consideration

Keep doing what you are doing.

3818 Other Employee Reviews for CVS Health (View Most Recent)

[almost] everything you wanted to know about working at CVS...

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

Working as a pharmacy technician part-time is a great job for students and pays relatively well compared to other part-time jobs. I chose to work at CVS over their competitors because they are an industry leader and take lots of initiative. For example, CVS diversifies its income (i.e. Caremark merger, Longs acquisition, beauty store openings, walk-in clinics), offers access to patient history through their website, and offers some products that are not available at competitor locations (i.e. CO Q10 gummy vitamins).

All employees, regardless of P/T or F/T, receive a discount on store merchandise as well as CVS stock purchases via payroll deduction. Also, if your store's department is one of the top performing departments in the district, which is assessed through customer phone surveys, every employee in that department gets a $5 or $10 gift card for the month. Pharmacy and front store are assessed separately which is good since the pharmacy tends to know the customers better. For pharmacy technicians, CVS will pay for the national certification test (~$200 value).

Other P/T benefits include an optional (mediocre) health care plan (which is different from the F/T one) and corporate discounts. I was able to get a discount on my monthly cell phone plan. F/T benefits include paid vacation, a 5% 401k company contribution, yearly bonuses, and stock options (but only for managers and pharmacists I believe).

Personal experiences are going to vary depending on the store. The majority of the employees at my store were pleasant to work with and made it fun. Also, I never felt stressed at work, even in the pharmacy. I attribute this to the great pharmacy staff as well as to our store volume and hours (NOT open 24 hours - it looks like a nightmare to work at one!). Also, the pharmacy manager wrote the schedule and was very understanding about taking time off for school and personal reasons. This may have been just at our store, but the pharmacist allowed the techs to leave during their shift to pick up lunch for everyone. Finally, the pharmacy does not have any obligations to the front store so if you work in the pharmacy, you do not have to help the front store stock shelves, organize the stock room, or clean bathrooms!

Cons

One of the biggest issues that irked me was the training programs (or lack thereof) for new hires and for patient programs that were recently introduced. When you first start, they give you training CDs, but trust me, you won't remember anything you learn from them. Training in the store is very unstructured and learning how to do anything is dependent on your personal ability as well as the ability of the other employees. I thought this was particularly dangerous in the pharmacy. Even though I have worked at CVS for well over a year, I still feel like there is a lot I don't know.

Also, the computer system is archaic, though CVS has developed a new program that is currently being tested in certain stores. I never had trouble navigating the system, just reading the horrible ALL CAPS MS-DOS-like font. The blue background doesn't really help either. The worst aspect is the inability to easily leave notes in a patient's profile, so the next time you speak to any patient about an issue, you have no idea what they are talking about.

Although my store gets those "recognition" gift cards often, personal recognition is lacking. At times, I have felt unappreciated, but I suppose that could happen at any job.

The drive-thru is extremely annoying and one of the worst things to happen in retail pharmacy. The only thing worse is CVS' motto "ready in 15 minutes or less". Sometimes I feel like I am working at McDonald's. Again, I feel this is very dangerous as speed often leads to mistakes. Please remember that the next you get your prescription filled.

Don't micromanage employees so much. For some aspects like RTS, it is helpful, but PCI and the 45 second time quota is ridiculous. Some of my conversations with patients just don't last that long!

Don't promote pharmacists to managers based on seniority. Most pharmacists in management positions suck. Also, give them a choice as far as the other pharmacists they will be working with if you are going to hold the manager accountable for everything.

The bathroom at every CVS I have ever been to is disgusting. If I were a patient, I would expect a pharmacy to have a clean, sterile bathroom. CVS needs to contract out cleaning the bathrooms and not expect disgruntled front store employees to do it.

Finally, I would suggest including a function on the computer system that can be activated or inactivated and allows automatic renewal requests after the last fill. This would be especially helpful for patients on a long-term regimen. Also, I hope the new computer system includes a place to easily include patient profile notes because I never have any idea what the patient is talking about when they call.

True work enviroment.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

Once you become a Manager, you make your own schedule. Time off is not a problem. Cvs does let you run the buisness, and the customer always comes first. They give you a lot of merchandising freedom.

Cons

Downsides are the promotion process. It is very easy to be promoted if you are a favorite. You do not need great skills to move up in the company. The ones who shine are kept in the district to make the DM look good and the ones who are dispensible move up to run field ops. I had the highest customer service score out of 138 stores and the one with a 68 eventually became a DM.

Promote the people who get the numbers, not your favorite ones.

There are newer employer reviews for CVS Health