There are newer employer reviews for CVS Health

Getting the experience I want, at an unpleasant cost.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician CPhT
Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician CPhT

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Co-workers and regular customers here are amazing -Job security is nice. Would have to mess up big time. (Not making all "patient outreach calls" however, is considered messing up big time - even if there's 120+) -Job experience is nice as well. As a future pharmacist-to-be, I'm racking up experience and have seen the good, the bad, and the plain evil of corporate run pharmacies.

Cons

-Hours cut in the middle of week to meet budget and upper level management surprised when we're not doing so well. Can be very strict on hours (I've been "written up" for going over 5 minutes one week) -Requires a lot of dedication with no real benefits for the dedication -No competitive pay, and both wage and raises are static. No raise or compensation for certification. No assistance in maintaining CPhT status, or renewal of license. You pay to work for them. -In both stores I've worked, there is "full service" (Pick up & Drop Off) in 2 drive-thru lanes - with 1 employee working them both and only 1 register. New "We-Care" system in second lane requires multiple back and forth trips of the tube while Lane 1 can be done much easier -Little respect for employees from upper management. The customer is always right, even if its their fault. (ex: phoned in wrong medicine to be refilled) -Numbers,numbers,numbers. On weekends, patients must be called to prompt them to fill old prescriptions. Every prescription is timed, and must be filled before said time or it counts against your execution "score." From when a patient calls the store to when you answer is timed. When a patient pulls into the drive-thru to when an employee pushes the button on the phone (**not when the employee is actually at the window, you must still push the button if you are right there anyways**) is timed. -Customer-based "scoring." Customers are constantly given the opportunity to "score" how well your performance was in helping them. This is a good idea. However, CVS has RickyBobby syndrome. When you are scored from 0-5 (0 bad, 5 excellent), anything from 0-4 gets defaulted to a 0. ONLY 5's count. If you ain't first, you're last. -High stress environment. Even when customers are nice, it is stressful with 10+ people waiting around the pharmacy, some watching your every move. Out of our 5 full time techs, 3 have a prescription for a nerve pill. -In my state, we often work illegally. The state board of pharmacy states the pharmacist/tech ratio should be 1:2. The worst I've ever seen is 7 techs to 1 pharmacist.

Advice to Management

After seeing some of the numbers, I know more hours should be available. Spend less on advertising "15 minutes or less" and give stores more hours to actually just do it. No reason why a store making $76,000 profit in 1 month should have long wait times and low ratings due to skeleton staffing.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

If it wasn't for my coworkers, this would be a horrible job.

Current Employee - Photo Technician in Montvale, NJ
    Current Employee - Photo Technician in Montvale, NJ

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people in my store are awesome. Flexible, accommodating scheduling.

Cons

The pay. If they increase the starting wage of new hires, they won't bump up the existing workers by the same amount. I have been working at cvs, more on than off, for the last 4 years. In that time, between a couple yearly raises and my photo raise, I went from making 7.75 to 8.50. My brother got hired a few months ago at 8.25. That is just unfair.

Advice to Management

This time of the year, January, is the worst for hours. They cut back hours so much in our store that there were only 2 or 3 people, plus a manager, in the store during the day in a high volume store. This past week we have not been able to get anything done and the store looks horrible.

2. Wonderful Experience Overall

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Boynton Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Boynton Beach, FL

I worked at CVS Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

CVS is an extremely organized and thorough company. Obviously the pay depends on the job you do but they start above minimum wage and there is much opportunity to advance. If you are full time the benefits are very nice!

Cons

The clientele of CVS can be somewhat uppity so there is an expectation that you know how to cater to such people and they hold you to it. Not really a con, but a notice to those who are considering working there. CVS takes care of its employees but the employee must take care of the customer.

Advice to Management

I hope you remain thorough and organized!