Awesome

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Torrance, CA
Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Torrance, CA

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, with intelligential people

Cons

Below market pay, and too much pointless modules

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Life Consuming

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great job if you like doing everything yourself. Very high tech. Lots of info at your fingertips.

Cons

Tasks increase and hours decrease at an alarming rate. You are given just enough hours for basic levels of service on the registers. If you are in a low volume store the hours are just enough to have 2 people in the building at a time on the front store (mgr and cashier). If you don't stay on top of tasks you will fall behind real quick. You are constantly in a position of asking yourself, do I stay longer or do I work on my 'day off' to stay on top of things or do I fall behind and work even more next week to catch up. On top of it all you are expected to baby the Rx staff. If you don't have a good staff in the pharmacy it will make your life more of a hell than it already is. Be ready to be micro managed like never before.

Advice to Management

They know what they are doing to their store managers and couldn't care less,its all about the shareholders.

Demoralizing workplace offset only by good co-workers

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I worked at CVS Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Learn a lot about pharmacy, healthcare and insurances -20% Employee Discount -In my case, very nice pharmacists and technicians that help you learn and become better at the job

Cons

-Pay was awfully low. The only way I made an actual money was working overtime (40+) because even a full 40 hour week was barely $290 a week after deductions. -Customers (with a few exceptions) are very rude and extremely uneducated on the nuances of their insurance. They always assume that what they are receiving should be free and this mentality is what gives us problems when we have to explain and have that explanation rebuffed by the customer because "the customer is always right". -Terrible scheduling of technicians throughout the day. We always had at least 4-5 techs plus 1-2 RPH during the hours of 8-4pm. Thats enough to cover pick up, drop-off, production and the drive-thru lane during the day. But when it's the busiest between 4-7pm there is only 3 techs and 1 RPH and there is nothing being produced or counted and its becomes a complete mess -Schedule is determined on a week-to-week basis and there is very little leeway to schedule your own stuff -Started in 2012 and was given as many hours as I wanted and more, but once 2013 came I was down to 25-28 hours a week max and part of why I quit. -PCI/PCQ calls are a useless way to have us spend our time. Most of the time people can see that it's CVS calling on their phones and dont even bother answering. When they do its "why are you calling me?" and "stop calling me!" A waste of time and hours. -This might just be where I worked but the customers have an extreme ego complex and speak down to you or expect us to compensate for their lack of responsibility. It's YOUR medications, for YOUR health benefit, not MINE. Be responsible about YOUR health and I will do my best as well. -On your feet all day and there is no sitting down. Myself and fellow techs/RPH's all have sore feet and knee issues. -I started out as a fairly sociable and happy person but towards the end of my time I became very cynical and grumpy about my job and the customers. Not the kind of mentality you want to have but this job inevitably makes you like that.

Advice to Management

Management has no idea how the pharmacy runs vs. how they perceive their "initiatives" and "projects"to be carried out. There is a huge disconnect and no matter how much we lobby for more hours, techs or any assistance those calls fall on deaf ears. This is a business where the pharmacy carries more weight and financial gain. Give the pharmacists and techs the freedom to do our jobs instead of weighing us down with useless rules to follow. Moot point now but CVS will always try to do more than is possible with fewer and fewer resources. I tell people I know who ask about my job what it's like and I tell them that it's a job, not a career. To me all it has become is a paycheck because thats the reality.