CVS Health

There are newer employer reviews for CVS Health

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Oceanside, NY
Current Employee - Store Manager in Oceanside, NY

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is good money. The health benefits are ok. The store discount is ok 20% off national brand products & 30% off store band (if they are not on sale.

Cons

Management training is bad & out dated. Every manager I know did not feel they had been trained properly… but to be fair it is a sink or swim business being a retail manager.

Depending on the location there can be high turnover with the store staff & there is tremendous red tape with hiring someone & with the store payroll hours fluctuating form month to month you can A) Find yourself with a small team not being able to do the work load or B) With a large team & going over on pay roll (Make sure to try to have a good mix of Full-time & Part-time staff so you can expand & contract).

Each store location runs differently. Some stores have Assistant Managers, Beauty Managers, Photo Managers, Merchandisers working under you & some DO NOT… It all depends on how the Regional Manager, District Manager & Store Managers setup the store from it’s inception & how it panned out. So if you come in behind a poor manager that did not develop people YOU may be doing everything (so move fast at cleaning up the store & get rid of the dead wait in the team & get new pepole soon because there is zero room for spectators… everyone needs to be a player)

A) Stop coming out with NEW programs just for the sake of change. The time spent Rolling out, Traning, Implementing, Tracking the new programs could be spent Servicing the customers, Stocking the shelves & Developing the team.
- When you must come out with a new program ask your self… what does it fix?
Then replace the obsolete program… Do not keep adding to them.

B) Do not treat every store in the chain the same & hold them to the same expectations. I 100% agree a Corp needs standards. But if there is a store in the shadow of Manhattan making over 100k a week & has a 20 thousand new faced customers pass thought there doors & a store in upstate NY is making 40k a week & services the town population of 8 thousand… We can not call that Applies to Applies It is more like Applies to Orchards. I say this because every month you ask 50 customers to grade the Store (agro the manager)…statically & geographically the Small-CVS in the Small Town USA has an extreme advantage due to every 160th transaction is being surveyed… meanwhile in City-CVS in City USA every 500th customer is being surveyed… not to mention in Small Town USA the manager & cashier went to school with the customer & in City USA the cashier may never see most of their customers twice.
So to rap up it all up I a bow… If you put 1 apple in a juicer you are going to get apple juice… If you put an Orchard in a juicer… you break the juicer. So give out the surveys based on customers count… or do not expect consistency in you data

3440 Other Employee Reviews for CVS Health (View Most Recent)

Decent place to work in retail

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Greenfield, MA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Greenfield, MA

I worked at CVS Health part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fairly easy job requirements, very easy hiring process, great employee discount, great holiday pay

Cons

Department managers had all been there forever and were definitely more concerned about making sure employees and customers weren't stealing things rather than performing their day to day responsibilities.

Just because someone has been there for a long time doesn't mean that they're the best person for the job.

I like my job

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician CPhT in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician CPhT in Irvine, CA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people I work with are great, the systems and protocols are straight forward and easy to learn

Cons

Customers yell at you for stuff that isn't your fault all the time (Insurance/doctor issues etc)

Raises should be given more frequently

There are newer employer reviews for CVS Health