There are newer employer reviews for CVS Health

Demanding but can be rewarding. A solid company to work for.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Marlton, NJ
Current Employee - Store Manager in Marlton, NJ

I have been working at CVS Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great salary, benefits, bonus, stock discount, 401(k), and merchandise discount (20%, and 30% on store brand). Ability to train associates the way you want, control over merchandising, increasingly transparent communication between stores and corporate (President Mark Cosby is receptive to ideas), and ability to move up if you truly want it.

Cons

As in any retail job, you are going to work some nights, weekends, and holidays. There are long hours (45 minimum, but 60 or so, sometimes more, if you want to be successful). My biggest grievance is that they've cut payroll hours when sales have increased. Lots of red tape and paperwork that sometimes make it hard to get out on the floor and do your job. Store Manager is a jack-of-all-trades especially when a high-volume 24-hour store is frequently staffed with just 2 people per shift. The District Manager is also overloaded with tasks and can have difficulty communicating at times.

I don't dislike working for CVS. I dislike the workload/payroll balance that makes the job difficult for almost every SM I have ever known.

Upper management is doing an excellent job of keeping CVS profitable but we need to spend a little more money on payroll hours to combat a heavy workload. We could cut costs elsewhere (hire a Financial Efficiency Officer!) that would put more hours into stores while catering to investors.

3053 Other Employee Reviews for CVS Health (View Most Recent)

Intense learning experience

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Leesburg, VA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Leesburg, VA

I worked at CVS Health full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Since CVS is such a large company, the benefits are decent if you are full time; training is good and opportunities to advance are decent if you are willing to work long and hard.

Cons

In the past few years, resources at store level have been cut back so severely that it is impossible to give great customer service; a typical day has one manager and one cashier on duty at a time; how are you supposed to serve customers, perform even basic tasks and keep up with office duties in that environment? There is absolutely no work/life balance for a store manager who has to be "on" 24/7 and at the store at least 70 hours per week; even then, it is not possible to stay caught up.

If the differentiator between retail drug establishments is a higher level of customer service, cutting staff to bare bones, not offering full time to anyone and a very low pay scale are not the avenues to pursue. Perhaps higher management would be better served looking at other ways to cut expenses. I can tell you from firsthand experience that it is impossible to properly maintain a store and grow the customer base with the staff we are forced to work with.

Lasted four weeks

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Mesa, AZ

I worked at CVS Health part-time for less than a year

Pros

Close to home, part time work available

Cons

The store I worked in had one manager and one cashier for each shift. The manager is in other parts of the store doing their job or outside smoking, so I was the only person in the front. Did not feel safe at night. You are expected to greet every person who walks in the door, as well as stock, clean, print photos, face shelves, answer phone. Very difficult when you are stocking a shelf at the back of the store, to run up and greet a customer coming in. Training was not good. The "onboarding" day was a woman talking about the values of CVS, but she also talked a lot about her children, and how she was the girl in high school who got into fights in the restroom. Managers at the store were very impatient and sometimes rude if I asked for help with something I didn't know.

Hire more employees for each store!

There are newer employer reviews for CVS Health

Worked for CVS Health? Contribute to the Community!