CVS Health

www.cvshealth.com
  www.cvshealth.com
There are newer employer reviews for CVS Health

Demanding but can be rewarding. A solid company to work for.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Marlton, NJ
Current Employee - Store Manager in Marlton, NJ

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great salary, benefits, bonus, stock discount, 401(k), and merchandise discount (20%, and 30% on store brand). Ability to train associates the way you want, control over merchandising, increasingly transparent communication between stores and corporate (President Mark Cosby is receptive to ideas), and ability to move up if you truly want it.

Cons

As in any retail job, you are going to work some nights, weekends, and holidays. There are long hours (45 minimum, but 60 or so, sometimes more, if you want to be successful). My biggest grievance is that they've cut payroll hours when sales have increased. Lots of red tape and paperwork that sometimes make it hard to get out on the floor and do your job. Store Manager is a jack-of-all-trades especially when a high-volume 24-hour store is frequently staffed with just 2 people per shift. The District Manager is also overloaded with tasks and can have difficulty communicating at times.

I don't dislike working for CVS. I dislike the workload/payroll balance that makes the job difficult for almost every SM I have ever known.

Upper management is doing an excellent job of keeping CVS profitable but we need to spend a little more money on payroll hours to combat a heavy workload. We could cut costs elsewhere (hire a Financial Efficiency Officer!) that would put more hours into stores while catering to investors.

3468 Other Employee Reviews for CVS Health (View Most Recent)

Intense learning experience

Former Employee - Store Manager in Leesburg, VA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Leesburg, VA

I worked at CVS Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Since CVS is such a large company, the benefits are decent if you are full time; training is good and opportunities to advance are decent if you are willing to work long and hard.

Cons

In the past few years, resources at store level have been cut back so severely that it is impossible to give great customer service; a typical day has one manager and one cashier on duty at a time; how are you supposed to serve customers, perform even basic tasks and keep up with office duties in that environment? There is absolutely no work/life balance for a store manager who has to be "on" 24/7 and at the store at least 70 hours per week; even then, it is not possible to stay caught up.

If the differentiator between retail drug establishments is a higher level of customer service, cutting staff to bare bones, not offering full time to anyone and a very low pay scale are not the avenues to pursue. Perhaps higher management would be better served looking at other ways to cut expenses. I can tell you from firsthand experience that it is impossible to properly maintain a store and grow the customer base with the staff we are forced to work with.

Just OK

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Charlotte, NC

I worked at CVS Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Always busy/ time goes by really fast

Cons

Too much responsibility for not alot of money. Only $10.75/hr

Lighten up