CVS Health

www.cvshealth.com
  www.cvshealth.com
There are newer employer reviews for CVS Health

Not a terrible company to work for

Former Employee - Cashier in Hartford, CT
Former Employee - Cashier in Hartford, CT

I worked at CVS Health part-time (less than an year)

Pros

People, Management, ethical company, good products

Cons

Low pay, not much room for advancement

3468 Other Employee Reviews for CVS Health (View Most Recent)

Each employer has it's pluses and minuses

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Stable career with advancement opportunity

Cons

A lot of work little recognition high turn over

Typical Retail, Health Care Experience

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Grand Prairie, TX
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Grand Prairie, TX

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You will learn, and learn quickly. Sink or swim!

They have self-paced learning modules for you to learn from!

You will be able to use the experience of this job to further your career elsewhere!

This career can also be quite rewarding, and for reasons similar to those found in other health care careers. With the right attitude and work ethic, you will turn a sick person's day around! And they will go out of their way to walk back to the pharmacy and thank you for it later!

Cons

Corporate rarely gives us enough hours, and yet we are almost always swamped and in desperate need for more people. Every day, we are behind, and every day, I have to tell roughly a third of our customers to come back in 10-20 minutes at least once! I think this is a combination of poor organizational skills, location, and Corporate Culture's obsession with ever-increasing profit margins. My store in particular has a really bad reputation... and had one at least two years prior to my being hired there.

I bend over backwards and bust butt to help customers, so instead of being mad at me for not being fast, they simply pity me and say, "this company really needs to get y'all more help." I am always, ALWAYS trying to find that sweet spot, that compromise, that middle ground between being as fast as can be and being as nice and understanding as can be... which isn't easy, because it's quite seriously like trying to have the cake and eat it, too.

And I also figured out why those same customers say that the people in the highest ranks in the pharmacy are often the rudest. Those people reached such ranks by meeting the company's need to be faster, ever faster, and always to do more and more with less and less. As a consequence, they are speed demons, and the customers just can't keep up. Such workers cut customers off, they prompt the customers with very brief and too quickly delivered questions, they lack the time to adequately handle any problems that arise, and everything comes across as short, clipped, impersonal and... yes, rude! The easily confused, little old lady may get really turned off by such behavior. The younger ones (middle aged) are more apt to vocalize their distaste, however.

But hey! Such super-fast employees keep our numbers up! Everyone else should be more like them! [not]

We almost, quite seriously, lack adequate hours to provide prompt and exceptional customer service. The few people working the few hours we are allotted are over-stressed and over-worked. Being cheerful and accommodating in light of that is no small feat at all.

Give us more hours! More help! Please!

In addition to all that, a warning to those exploring the possibility of this career: you may be working in healthcare, sure, but you will be less respected than doctors and nurses. Even our pharmacists get treated very rudely by some customers! I worked as a caregiver previously, and know how poorly the injured and ill can act, but nothing's like it is here sometimes.

Just keep this in mind: I have noticed that the customers in the worst moods are the ones getting pain meds. That's no coincidence. Think of how you felt the last time you were in a lot of pain, and you will understand! DON'T take it personally!

Aside from all that, update the register system so that every procedure that requires an I.D. check goes through the register computer, just like it does for pseudoephedrine sales. It would greatly aid in our ability to be efficient! It would also aid in persuading the customer of the legitimacy of our requests to see I.D.!

Shiny, laminated, customer friendly posters about our legal restrictions regarding things like pseudoephedrine sales and the filling of controlled substances would also be nice. Especially if such posters referenced the actual laws and regulations in question. If presented in the right way, they could remind and reinforce without intruding.

That way, if someone claims we are going on a "power trip" by refusing to fill a narcotic prescription without all the required information 5 minutes before close, we can point to said posters, before asking them if they would like to speak to management.

It would also be nice to have posters on "soft" policies, suggesting that all Rx to be filled for that day be turned in at least an hour before closing, and that any turned in after that time will be filled the following day. A similar "soft" policy on vaccines would also be nice, as would one suggesting waiters in the drive through either drive back around at the end of the wait time, or park and come in and wait. I say "soft" because these policies are simply guidelines for the customers, not legal concerns nor the strict company policies that stem from such legal concerns. We can't forces these "soft" policies, but we definitely can promote and encourage them! Because issues regarding all these little things further impede our ability to be effective and efficient!

Finally, don't over rely on algorithms to determine things like the numbers of allotted workers and hours for the stores. We are people, too, as are our customers. Both the employees and the customers at all your stores will greatly appreciate being treated like human beings instead of numbers to crunch.

Hire more techs for full-time if we prove we are worth it! The only reason I can think of for the company being so reluctant to hire anyone besides salaried persons as full-time is this: you don't want to have to pay full time benefits. Think of what kind of message that sends to us.

I would love to feel genuine loyalty towards your company, but I have to feel like I matter to you first. Otherwise? The first offer I get that's marginally better than this place? I'm taking. And THAT's how your turn-over rate shoots up!

There are newer employer reviews for CVS Health