CVS Health

www.cvshealth.com
  www.cvshealth.com
There are newer employer reviews for CVS Health

OK benefits depending on which location you work at but slow days can be dreadful.

Former Employee - Clerk/Cashier in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Clerk/Cashier in Orlando, FL

I worked at CVS Health

Pros

good hours, nice coworkers, ok salary

Cons

long hours, management cold-shouldered some employees and at times was accusatory or condescending

Communicate with staff at all levels.

3471 Other Employee Reviews for CVS Health (View Most Recent)

CVS/ Caremark. They've always been there, probably always will, and here's why.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

CVS is better than Walgreens. Coming from someone who has worked for both companies, CVS treats its employees much better. As with any large retail chain, you must expect to be placed on a short leash- at any level, but CVS's management development system, at least in our district is second to none. The discount you receive is 20 percent- comparable to other employers, but you do get a larger discount on store brand items that is, 30 percent. A new full time hire gets 1 week of paid vacation off the bat and two weeks following the one year review. Management is highly competant and is hired exclusively from within. Because of this practice, rapid advancement is easily achieved by the more motivated job seeker.
    On a more speculative note, CVS is now part of Caremark, the nation's largest health insurance provider. Lately I've noticed new benefit programs emerging as a direct result of this, such as 20%discounts at both ATT and VERIZON, and potentially, as the novel store based minute clinic is rolled out into new areas, basic healthcare services may become very cheap if not free for CVS employees at these locations.

CVS has a brilliant managerial hierarchy, while I'm not exactly privy to the upper echielons at the moment I can say rather confidently that anyone with a sliver of retail experience, and a degree can start working as a SHIFT SUPERVISOR or ASSISTANT MANAGER and become a DISTRICT MANAGER in less than 10 years. Ten years is a HUGE sacrifice in retail, but the rewards are almost worth it... that is, if you have the right stuff.

Cons

CVS is a large retail drug store, 'nuff said.

You can expect to be paid very close to minimum wage if you have no prior experience. If you are not full time, you are not entitled to any hours whatsoever, and even if you are full time, CVS considers full time to be 30 hours or more... and the company DOES NOT pay overtime.
    If you are a self motivated, hard worker with good people skills, or you have a plethora of retail management experience in good standing you may find yourself promoted or hired as an ASSISTANT MANAGER.
    At CVS, the ASSISTANT MANAGER position is really the entry level position for someone who needs to support themselves realistically. As an ASSISTANT MANAGER you can expect to work in excess of 65 hours per week on a retail schedule- not exactly glamorous even in light of a decent salary.
    For those who are commited, and well suited for the demands, promotion to STORE MANAGER can (and has often) come within 2 years.
    As a STORE MANAGER, expect the only positive change to come in the form of a 50% raise, and the satisfaction of having your own store to run, your own crew to shape and your own customers to cultivate. Promotions to DISTRICT MANAGER are few and far between and are almost never given to STORE MANAGERS without at least a 4 year degree.

Watch out for what I like to call the CVS health benefit scheme.
    As a new full time hourly hire, you will be told that you are eligbile for insurance after 90 days with the company. What they don't tell you is that you are only elgible for part-time insurance at this point and full health benefits are not available until you've been working an entire year. While the full time health benefits are very comprehensive and competitive, the part-time benefits are lackluster at best, and catastrophically insufficient at worst. Whats more, is that if you miss annual enrollment during the course of your untold 1 year "waiting period", you may not receive full health coverage until well into your second year with the company.

Honestly, nothing I can think of to type would have any positive impact on the way this company is run.

CVS- Good place to work if compensation isnt your biggest necessity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at CVS Health

Pros

Great experience with large clients.

Fortune 20 company.

Lots of room for career growth and many opportunities.

Great exposure of managing accounts.

Cons

For the amount of work that you due, and for the amount of money you are dealing with and making the company. The compensation for what you do is very very low. I manage around 6 clients work more than 200 million dollars; keeping these clients is very important, but I make under 60k a year... something to consider. But always good to put on a resume.

My advise to management is to try to weed out the people who truly shouldnt be there. I know people who have been there 10 years and dont know the basic functions of their jobs. Very competent people attempt to get into this company and take pay cuts, but they continue to hire a work force that isnt education enough or just smart enough to effectively complete their tasks.

There are newer employer reviews for CVS Health