Cabela's

Worth the experience.

Former Employee - Gun Counter Agent in Allen, TX
Former Employee - Gun Counter Agent in Allen, TX

I worked at Cabela's

Pros

The managers don't make you feel that they're above you and you're just a lowly worker. You have all the opportunities in the world to state an opinion and implement a change for the better if they agree and they listen to your concerns.

Cons

It can become quite tedious---the amount of workers compared to the amount of shoppers isn't quite adequate enough to handle peak times it seemed. But they still manage...

Y'all are doing a great job, and I hope it's kept up and doesn't go the way of most major chains. I don't see that happening but I know a few (including myself) who left for a better opportunity for hours and pay.

231 Other Employee Reviews for Cabela's (View Most Recent)

Working at a Cabela's retail location is like coming to work in a museum; a very cool place to work.

Current Employee - Inventory Control Manager in Hammond, IN
    Current Employee - Inventory Control Manager in Hammond, IN

I have been working at Cabela's

Pros

We treat our hourly outfitters amazing. The daily perks and special things that the company does to motivate employees is unlike anything else in retail. Cookouts, give a ways, incentives for making metrics, it is like giving them a bonus every week.

Cons

The senior management team in some of the stores do not communicate very will with the middle managementn and staff. The company is going thru a culture change to make these roles more leadership orientated and less task managing - where there is currently a massive breakdown.

Keep doing what you are doing to improve processes and helping us grow to a bigger and better future. The positive changes in the last 4 years have been encouraging to say the least. Help create a culture of leadership vs. management.

Perfect example of the "Peter Principle."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sidney, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sidney, NE

I worked at Cabela's

Pros

The appeal of working for a major player in the outdoor industry, especially if you're an outdoorsman yourself. The discounts on merchandise is you are at the highest level. The certain amount of perceived notoriety and respect you get from the outdoor public for working at the company.

Cons

The hope that you can be associated with a company with a company that's respected in the outdoor industry, only to find all is not what it seems. Cabela's made it's name via customer service and quality products. Now they are selling more and more junk that presents higher profit margins rather the high-quality merchandise they were once famous for. The change in the Cabela's culture since the company went public is very obvious in management, products and treatment of employees. Pay is below industry standards by as evidenced by companies to study such things for Cabela's.Talented people leave. There has been a mass exodus in recent months from the VP of marketing right down the line. People who remain have definitely reached their highest level of ineptitude. Employees should be paid a premium if you're working for the world's foremost outfitter and a bonus for living in beautiful Sidney.

Do whatever you need to do to hold on to talented people. Realize that you are in the middle of nowhere in a God-forsaken place and you are going to have to offer more to keep them. Cull managers who are entrenched in the good 'ol boy network. People who have been there for years and are still doing things the way they did 15 years ago and aren't afraid to tell you so. Don't take you customers for granted. They're smarter and more knowledgeable than you think. Go back to being a specialty retailer catering to the hunting and fishing crowd. They are what made the company in the first place. If you want to be a mass merchant that sells junk from China, don't pretend to be something else.

There are newer employer reviews for Cabela's