Cabela's

www.cabelas.com
  www.cabelas.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cabela's

Great people to work with, but management is by and large incompetent.

I have been working at Cabela's

Pros

The employees are of diverse backgrounds and in many case exceptional in ability and knowledge. Employee discounts are pretty decent. Most employees are active sportsmen and sportswomen. The most enjoyable aspect of employment is who you work with, but not necessarily who you work for.

Cons

Despite Cabela's claims to be employee-oriented, there exists a solid "good 'ol boy" network in place. If an employee is not prepared to drink the Kool-Aid, zero opportunity for advancement exists. Wages are low and the hours of duty are as impractical as can be imagined. If an employee is vocal about business practices, they are signing their own employment death certificate. The ability to convince customers to sign up for a company credit card trumps all other individual qualifications or achievements. Veteran employees understand the concept of keeping your head down and mouth shut to avoid termination.

Corporate management should adopt a policy similar to that of Sam Walton --- just show up at random locations without prior notice to any employees/management of that location. Perform your due diligence by observation and by discussing conditions and attitudes with the employees, rather than attempting to filter the results through each store's managers. When the stores are aware of an impending corporate visit, management pulls out all the stops on creating an illusion of performance, competency, and employee contentment.

You may be surprised just how many talented and qualified people you have and how frustration and intolerance created by the managers can adversely affect performance and general attitude in the workplace. Discover and implement means of recognizing and rewarding employee's individual performance in fair and equitable mechanisms.

238 Other Employee Reviews for Cabela's (View Most Recent)

I've got to admit it's getting better...Getting better, all the time :)

I have been working at Cabela's

Pros

If you love the stuff we sell how can you not enjoy working here? I genuinely like my job. I've worked in the retail store and in the distribution center. There is opportunity for advancement if you have a well rounded set of skills and strong inter-personal skills. One of the few places left where you can build a decent professional career without a college degree.

Cons

I've read the reviews on this site and I agree with a lot of them. There are still systemic problems that need to be recognized and addressed properly. There has been a huge cultural change since Millner took over and a lot of the "BS" is going away. Retail Management is in need of an overhaul. Too many young adults in high places that care about little more than scratching their way up the Corporate ladder at the expense of others.

Keep rooting out the folks who are dead weight. Reward those who are truly adding value to the company. Changes at the top are trickling down slowly but surely. This company is not the same company it was three years ago and that is a good thing! Get back to our roots and fill the stores with passionate experts and give a little bit on the bottom line to make this happen. I realize the club card is a great revenue stream but do not punish employees who do not sell their souls to fill a quota. Customers don't like being pressured by every single associate they encounter to sign up for a credit card. Keep the club outfitters confined to an area at the front of the store and leave the rest of the floor to the "experts".

$$$ more important than service to customers

I have been working at Cabela's

Pros

If you are into hunting, fishing, camping the discount may help.

Cons

If you work part time, your hours get cut often. Forget about a consistent work schedule. You will be working different hours, days, each week. Salary increases are mere pennies, not dollars. It is not what you know, but WHO you know if you want to move into different dept. They balk if you do overtime, so you may have to walk away while being asked for help. Need to punch out or risk losing job.

Pay attention to what your employees say. We are the ones dealing with the customers all day long as you sit in your office.

There are newer employer reviews for Cabela's