There are newer employer reviews for Cabela's

Do NOT work here!

Former Employee - Firearms Department in Hamburg, PA
Former Employee - Firearms Department in Hamburg, PA

I worked at Cabela's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are fellow sportsman
Tempting to spend your entire paycheck where you work
Quality of clothing first rate, especially store brand
Buy one item at cost once per year

Cons

Low pay
Schedule not set, and changes constantly
Understaffed
Turn-around scheduling; close then open next day

Don't make fun of the customers at morning meetings! More than once, store manager from Texas made fun of the customers from NJ and NY who were too overbearing and demanding. Since this store sells in excess of 30,000 firearms per year out of this one store, they should cherish each and every customer that helps to keep them employed with a job!

222 Other Employee Reviews for Cabela's (View Most Recent)

Rather than being inspired, inspectors work under zero tolerance resulting in over-riding fear of firing .

Former Employee - Firearms Inspector in Dundee, MI
    Former Employee - Firearms Inspector in Dundee, MI

I worked at Cabela's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pleasant clean atmosphere and congenial peers. There are many interesting able affable employees with a potential to make the corporation sore.

Cons

Confusion about policy and implimentation - managers, leads, departments, and upper management. No continuity of policy, against vision. No inspiration or inclusion of employee voice in an open and meaningful manner.

The following is offered respectfully with the knowledge that it is my opinion alone.

If concealed carry and open carry are allowed in stores where the law allows, then expecting to keep the store safe from loaded firearms is moot. In open and/or concealed carry policy stores, in my opinion the firearms should be checked and cleared by broadly knowledgeable experts in the department where they are going to be serviced, solid, appraised, or advice sought rather than at the front door. To unerringly stand behind safety, then do not allow any firearms - whatever the carry - to enter the store without checking them all at the entrance by a person with both broad and specific firearms knowledge. Wanting to appear to customers that the corporation supports 2nd ammendment rights by allowing open and concealed carry, yet having zero tolerance policy about missed ammunition in guns that are checked in, shows a corporate self-focus rather than being truly for freedom and safety.

Further, there is rank confusion among managers as to what the inspector is supposed to be doing and how it is to be done, that I felt in a chaotic situation where managers of different departments were issuing (or doing) conflicting directions/actions. Not all managers are knowledgeable about firearms even though they are supposed to be able to check firearms in. The manager of Asset Protection should know more about firearms than what is corporate policy about clearing. The AP manager of the store I was employed at publicly stated that she doesn't like firearms and would not touch one. Given the opportunity to participate in Woman on Target, an NRA-sponsored local event for women to handle and fire rifles, shotguns, pistols, and bows, she refused. Perhaps the management of clearing of firearms should be managed by Firearms rather than AP. To her credit, my manager was affable, fair, and seemed to know how to catch thieves and deal with the justice system.

Also should be re-considered the way in which work and time-off are scheduled. I have felt indentured to the company given I only found out a week ahead of time (sometimes less) when I was scheduled despite being told that I would know my schedule 3 weeks in advance. My department had so few workers that it was very hard to switch schedules to just go to doctor appointments that have to be often made months in advance to gain a spot.

As regards gaining various awards, in the main, the firearms inspector is dependent on the customer to produce an error (loaded firearm) thus accumulating number of guns found uncleared OR on the number of guns cleared (reward: pizza) again dependent on the customers to bring in firearms. There are many opportunities for cash rewards afforded the majority of other "outfitters." At a recent meeting of gun inspectors, other awards were highlighted (probably because of my pointing out to my manager that it seemed we relied on customer error and flow for awards.) One particularly stuck out to me that had the word "world" on the award button. My interest was peaked to find out how Cabela's saw themselves helping in the greater world, only to be told that "world" referenced the company milieu.

To me that says a lot. My store seemed to serve a certain segment of clientele heavy on mid to older age people. Younger people seemed to be more interested in camping, clothing, and sport in general - or for their children to see "the animals and fish." I am sure it can be shown that they are represented in the company's cash cow, firearm sales. But when compared to retail sales and development of companies such as Google and Apple, there is no comparison as to who is served. It is possible to make a good profit and truly grow the vision from the bottom up. Cabela's customer base is probably aging. The interests and needs of a younger generation will probably pass the corporation by. I recently looked at a photo of the corporate managers and board, noting most appeared well over 50. All were male with the exception of Mrs. Cabela. All were white. This is not the future - nor the present - of the USA market. Once again I say that there is little reason to believe as a worker that my inspiration and voice would be heard, let alone welcomed in areas such as I am outlining.

That said, oddly the clothing sizes carried do not reflect the regrettable obesity statistics of the nation. I was asked over and over where the "larger sizes" were. Outfitters told me they were often asked also. It was obvious that more than half of the women customers entering the store would not fit in anything we carried. Even the sizing of Cabela clothing was not in synch with other industry sizing. The few 2x available were found to be more on the lines of 1x. I was told this was also true in men's clothing where not enough larger sizes were available.

Sadly, I note that it appears many of the employees are either under 30 or over 60, most paid an hourly wage that cannot sustain a living. Cabela's seems dependent on employing the young who will leave for better employment where their presence counts and the wages can produce a living - or elderly people needing supplemental income in these financially perilous times. This is using ageism to the Cabela advantage - underpaid, financially imperiled youth and seniors. My numbers off? That is the perception. It is said perception is more powerful - more powerful than board attitudes, polls, or even present bottom lines.

I also wish that the corporation would truly be invested in the national and world interest beyond lowering flags to half-mast for victims of gun violence. Sponsor more gun safety - employ those who can teach and inspire true concern for the environment and conservation - rather than just give space to outsiders.

Last but not least, if I read the literature correctly - and a bit between the lines as well - I hope outfitters find out what the money they ask the customer to round up their sales to the next dollar are really contributing to. Conservation? Tree plantings, watershed management, et al? Or wildlife population management that sounds more like financing a gun lobby.

To be clear -this is not a diatribe against firearms sales. I am a sport gunner who has competed for over 40 years in pistol and shotgun associations. And I am innovative, creative, collaborative, and vision-oriented, an over 60-year-old (slightly!) who hoped for better than I experienced being employed at Cabela's.

PS Please forgive misspellings as there is no spell-check on this site.

Please note that I further on in this survey I am asked what the business outlook is for the company for the next 6 months. During the next 6 months sales can be easily predicted to rise from where they are now because various hunting seasons are approaching along with the holidays. In the long run, despite opening many new and smaller operations country-wide, I do not feel Cabela's will flourish nor be viewed by the upcoming, younger public in a positive light unless their likes, voice, and products are evident.

Was once promising but turned into a nightmare.

Former Employee - Lead Warehouse Supervisor in Tulalip, WA
    Former Employee - Lead Warehouse Supervisor in Tulalip, WA

I worked at Cabela's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

3point5.com discount eligibility. Flexible work hours.

Cons

All employees are severely underpaid. As a Lead Supervisor for the warehouse night shift the pay is $12.00 an hour, minimum wage is $9.04 in WA. The workload is extremely intense due to being grossly understaffed. Communication is non-existent between management to management and between management to employee. A team atmosphere was once preached but the turn over rate is so high that no one knows who they are working with or for.

The Cabelas in Tulalip, WA needs to be rebuilt from the top down. Although it is a new store, the miscommunication between management and lack of pay is killing this store. Cabela's is thought to be of a higher standard, but with the current policies, turnover rate, lack of AFFORDABLE benefits and lack of pay it attracts the wrong type of outfitter. An outfitter who does not care about the operation or their job. It all starts with the senior management. Your sales will only be so high for so long, and then the hammer will come down.

There are newer employer reviews for Cabela's