There are newer employer reviews for Cabela's

Disappointing and pay not worth the workload

Current Employee - Gift Outtfiter in Tulalip, WA
Current Employee - Gift Outtfiter in Tulalip, WA

I have been working at Cabela's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discounts. always busy, met some great people

Cons

the pay, management favoritism , and benefits suck

Advice to Management

stop favoring employees. give all employees a chance. that work hard and deserve promotions and recognition

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Boise store seems to be improving...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at Cabela's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The new general manager is the biggest improvement we've seen, perhaps because he came to Cabela's from another big box retailer. The old general manager, who had been manager for at least 4 years, was a bit of a disaster (he got "demoted", and is now managing a Cabela's "Outpost", or as some call it, a "mini-mart", as it is less than 1/3 the size of the Boise Cabela's store). The new manager doesn't seem to be engaging in the same favoritism, back-stabbing, and lack of respect and trust (actually that was a two-way relationship between the old manager and most of the employees) that defined his predecessor. Morale has increased dramatically in the past three months since the new manager took over. Things appear to be looking up.

Cons

The pay is lousy. There are new employees that are being hired and paid more than the veteran employees who are training them. The health benefits for full-time employees have been pared back each year, and are too expensive to be accessed by most. The health "benefits" for part-time employees are a joke – I can't call them "benefits" while keeping a straight face. Even though the old general manager is gone, a few vestiges of his regime are still in place. Employee discounts are not very good compared to other retailers (I heard from a friend who works at Sportsmans Warehouse that their employee discount is 10% over cost). Finally, few in the store seem to trust the asset protection department, or have faith in the HR department.

Advice to Management

To "Senior Management": Apparently the company is doing well as evidenced by its continued expansion during a recession that has lasted at least 4 years (and as have many sporting goods and firearms-related companies across the country). I think it's time to redirect some of that revenue into employee retention: at the current rates of compensation, once the overall economy rebounds, many of your more talented employees will leave in droves. Also, try hiring more managers like the current manager of the Boise store.

great company if you have the right management.

Current Employee - Ima in Lacey, WA
    Current Employee - Ima in Lacey, WA

I have been working at Cabela's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

if you have the right manager and the right department to work for, Cablea's can be a great place to work. I work Monday through Friday and the occasional weekend. I love what I do and keep busy. I have been working there for 5 years now. in 2 more years I will be paying at cost plus 5% for all my purchase.

Cons

most management is poor at best. lying and deceiving is the best quality for management. if you call them out on it they will make sure you will pay the price! if you call a red flag on something you know is wrong the management will make your life a living hell! even for HR!
    if you tell corporate, they will tell your management! your best bet is to keep quite and do your job well.

Advice to Management

be honest! we know when you are lying! be easy on your employees, they are making a little more then minimum wage and crappy benefits . being open and honest is key!