Cabela's Corporate Greed has destroyed Dick Cabela's Original Dream

Former Employee - Former Manager
Former Employee - Former Manager

I worked at Cabela's

Pros

Like many that worked there, I am a user of the product. 3 generations of my family hunt, fish and camp.

Cons

As a woman, I worked 8 years to obtain the same position as my male counterparts. And for $20K less than they did. It was, is and always will be a "Boy's Club". In their 'clubhouse' in Sidney, NE, they make and break rules faster than they can implement them for their employees. They spend so much time and money trying to be one of the Big Box Stores, they have forgotten what makes a retail store work. Longevity and experience means nothing; HR reps worry about keeping their own jobs and long time coworkers keep silent in order to avoid retaliation.

Get back to your basics. Get rid the new members of Management and the Board that are there for the profits and short-term rise to the top. They won't be here in 5 years and neither will Cabela's if you keep them around.

Other Reviews for Cabela's

Keys to this company's success... Dumb luck!

Current Employee - Warehouse Management (Distribution Center)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Management (Distribution Center)

I have been working at Cabela's

Pros

There are very few reasons to work for this company unless you are just here for the paycheck. DO NOT TAKE THE STEP INTO SALARIED MANAGEMENT!!!!! If you can get yourself into a supervisor (hourly 1st level management) then consider taking it. You retain most of the "privileges" of being a member of management yet get paid overtime for the extra hours you work. There is significant money to be made this way as there is plenty of overtime to go around due to incompetence of upper management.

Cons

I would joke about the ineptitude of senior management at Cabela's if it wasn't so serious. This company is in some serious need of house cleaning or it will cease to exist as a viable business model. There are other reviews on this site that have hit the nail on the head. Systemically entrenched "old boys club" as verified by independent survey group. A focus on pouring hours onto problems instead of fixing what is broke in the first place. Morale destroying culture of backstabbing "doing whatever it takes" to further one's career. I could go on but I will just sum up Cabela's corporate culture with one word... TOXIC!

There is only one person that can truly save this company and it is the new CEO Tommy Millner. Tommy you need to see the forest for the trees and take a hard look at some of the people underneath you. Employment with Cabela's was once something to be bragged about, now as an employee I am met with sympathy and tales of horror stories by people in my community who know I work for Cabela's. I still work here because I know what Cabela's once was and what it could be again. However I can't wait forever for the turnaround however and for the first time in more than a decade I am seriously considering looking employment elsewhere.

good company that is very flexible. most of employees are part-time employees that work their to supplement their income

I have been working at Cabela's

Pros

flexibility, recognition for providing good customer service.

Cons

if you are at a location where you are the only minority, advancement could be limited or you really have to prove yourself.

some of your employees maybe overqualified for most of your part-time careers, granting them the ability to expand on their skills will make them more productive and may consider long-term employment. but if they feel that they will be stuck in the same position with no pay increase than they'll look elsewhere.

There are newer employer reviews for Cabela's.

Worked for Cabela's? Contribute to the Community!