CableLabs

www.cablelabs.com
There are newer employer reviews for CableLabs

An opinion

I worked at CableLabs

Pros

best reason is to lead cable technology

Cons

Colorado, lack of innovation around

n/a

16 Other Employee Reviews for CableLabs (View Most Recent)

Good exposure to industry execs, but internal execs lack basic skills...

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at CableLabs

Pros

Company is a good place to network with industry execs. You will become the expert in your area. Best bet is to quickly learn, and then leverage it by moving on to a higher paying position some where else.

Cons

Be prepared to deal with major internal politics. The departments operate as silos, and are primarily concerned with maintaining their budgets and meeting their team goals. Yelling and cursing is considered acceptible behavior.

Several old timers lack basic management skills. Should be let go so that company can progress past their limitations.

Good company to improve your skills early in your career

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Louisville, CO

I have been working at CableLabs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The starting pay, health insurance, and 401k matching are all excellent. We also have plenty of vacation, holidays and sick days, and we're encouraged to use them.
    Everyone I've met at CableLabs is nice and professional.
    It's easy to get sent to conferences, even as a low-level employee.
    There's a large variety of projects, so you'll almost always have opportunities to keep learning.
    Management isn't stingy about money. If you need expensive equipment to do your job, they'll buy it for you with no hassle.
    My job opportunities have significantly increased since starting here. It's a nice feeling, getting monthly emails from Google asking if you're suuure you don't want to change jobs.

Cons

A lot of our work is very cable- or TV-industry specific (DOCSIS, DLNA, MPEG, cable boxes, etc.). Most ex-employees seem to work at cable companies. This isn't necessarily a downside, but it's something you should be aware of.
    The cable industry isn't very open (see: DLNA), and tends to reinvent wheels or come up with overly complex solutions (see: DLNA). This seems to be getting better in some areas (involvement in HTML, for example).
    You'll probably get a decent bonus every year, but raises are worthless. Upper management has expressed a desire to lower pay to the industry average (despite the fact that you don't get above-average talent with average pay).

There are newer employer reviews for CableLabs