Cablevision Systems

www.cablevision.com
  www.cablevision.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cablevision Systems

not pleasant. was disappointed to see how employees (management and non-exempt) are really treated.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Cablevision Systems

Pros

employees receive free cable, tv and internet

Cons

-too much micromanaging, lack of trust of employees
-continuation training for existing employees (exempt/non-exempt) is minimal and really not in--depth so that one can learn and retain info. alot of computer based training which is not always --good. (can't remember everything)
-disciplinary policy is interesting. employees are put on epips (employee performance improvement plan warnings) for every little thing (usually in place fo 60 days). once employee off of plan and it sometimes questionable why the employee was placed on the plan, then the fact that the employee was even placed on this plan is still held against the employee for 18 months. So the employee can't win.
-so called annual increases are minimal compared to the amount of work employees are expected to do SInce management does not really get good management training on how to administer performance warnings or any disciplinary action, there are a lot of inconsistencies between the different offices with the same organization, between the different organizations. This is why Cablevision does not want the union (CWA or IBEW) to represent its members so they can get aways with placing employees on corrective action or also, dismissing employees even when the reasons associated for carrying out this action is questionable. Well, I heard that CWA has finally won the right to represent the Field Service Organization and next, they are coming after the call centers also. The employees definitely need this representation. This company is so strange that they even place large volumens of management employees on EPIPs also for not meeting a goal or not playing the political games. What company places their management (Supervisors, etc) and Non-Exempt employees on the same EPIP. How does Cablevision expect their management to have good morale amongst themselves and also, promote morale amongs employees when they are constantly under this type of threat and also, then have to place their employees on the same performance plan that they are on also. This is the strange corporate culture that is acceptable at this company.
- working there is like working in a cult. if you don't play along with the politics and join in with the in crowd, then you are treated differently
-management expects employees to work like robots. some of the requirements in how an employee is expected to do the job is the same reason why employees cant reach some of their goals . this applies for both exempt and non-exempt
- there are more cons than pros (too many to write about)

Glad the Union is infiltrating Cablevision so now you may want to stop playing games with the employees' careers. The unprofessionalism and inconsentencies will now have to go away. CWA is not going to let this keep happening to its union employees.

Stop micromanaging and trust that the majority of employees want to do a great job but its hard to do so with the threats constantly hanging over their heads. Stop managing by intimidation. Bad morales does not improve good customer service and make for a good employee.

333 Other Employee Reviews for Cablevision Systems (View Most Recent)

The job itself is ok, dealing with my superiors is another story.

Current Employee - Advanced Support Representative in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Advanced Support Representative in Melville, NY

I have been working at Cablevision Systems

Pros

Medical Benefits, Free Cable TV, Phone and Internet. Discounts to area attractions and sports tickets. Free Coffee. Pleasant Co-Workers. Fair Dress Code.

Cons

The lack of choice of hours. Difficulty getting time off regardless of seniority. Poor training methods. Management and supervisors concerned about themselves vs the welfare of employees. The promise of an "Open Door" policy only to have that policy work against you.

Pretty soon your business will become irrelevant. I suggest you make things flexible for your workers to allow them to make a difference for customers.

I was not treated as a human being, but more like a robot.

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative Tier II in Jericho, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative Tier II in Jericho, NY

I worked at Cablevision Systems

Pros

Friendly co-workers, benefit package once hired as perm, clean building (for call center), decent starting wage (temp-to-hire), paid training, promotions from within (after 6 months)

Cons

Call Center Micro-Management
    Training glosses over many issues necessary to do job
    No tolerance for sick-time for unavoidable absence due to hospitalization
    Temp-to-hire policy leaves you walking on eggshells
    Late night shifts only for new employees
    Metrics are over-emphazied (to the detriment of quality of service)

Some floor supervisors in TSG (technical support group) share that they are not filled-in on much by upper management. I was terminated from my job for 'attendance' reasons following two brief unavoidable hospitalizations because of a very painful infection in my leg. I kept the company posted every day and was told that I should just bring back my documentation from the hospital. For a company that stresses "empathy' over and over during training, my termination seems somewhat inconsistent, especially because I was putting my health first. From my direct supervisor and my (temp-to-hire) staffing agency, I was told that my termination had nothing to do with performance and that it is not surprising that my assignment ended prematurely because 'this is how call centers operate". Wake up Optimum your employees are not just numbers. This is a decent paying fairly high stress job if you can get past the first 500 hours.

There are newer employer reviews for Cablevision Systems