Cablevision Systems

www.cablevision.com
  www.cablevision.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cablevision Systems

Great employees, good benefits, very ineffective management team!!

Former Employee - Call Center Supervisor in Stratford, CT
Former Employee - Call Center Supervisor in Stratford, CT

I worked at Cablevision Systems

Pros

Founder & chairman, Charles Dolan has always been a 'silent mentor' to me. His wisdom, tenacity and financial agility are positive attributes that guided him in creating a successful company. Excellent benefits

Cons

TERRIBLE MANAGEMENT - VPs to managers, who for the most part have no clue as to how to effectively manage the greatest asset (their employees) any company will ever have! Its a shame that the company invest so much in providing leadership seminars etc in an effort to develop its people BUT there is NO ACCOUNTABILITY. Managers do not know how to lead and supervisors have no positive role models so its a game of blind leading blind. This results in very poor employee relationships because managers etc know how to 'add' the numbers but not what they really mean in terms of relationship building, employee job satisfaction/motivation and effective stakeholder- management

Advice to Mr Dolan and his TMT (top management team). Organizations now have to compete in a global economy which comprises of a multi-generational & diverse set of employees. Even though your call centers and other primary contact employees are in a closed system, it is critical to have managers and other leaders who can effectively manage the people. 'You' taught me long ago in one of my first leadership seminars to 'manage the behaviors that drive the numbers' BUT the mgt team at the CT location does the opposite...please listen to your employees and rebuild the legacy created by Mr Dolan Sr.

333 Other Employee Reviews for Cablevision Systems (View Most Recent)

I enjoyed the work but the goals and rule have changed so dramatically that its impossible to make decent money anymore.

Current Employee - Residential Account Executive in Morris Plains, NJ
    Current Employee - Residential Account Executive in Morris Plains, NJ

I have been working at Cablevision Systems

Pros

The benefits are decent, the independence is very good if you don't mind working on your own. The lenghth of vacation time is very good (3 weeks) from the first year.

Cons

The sales goals and product pricing has gone up drastically. The goals are very hard to hit with the fierce competition. This year if you sell at the same levels as last year you earn half as much commissions.

Most people in my department work very hard at the job. We pay for our own gas which has gone up considerably over the past few years. We pay for our own phones. If you don't set goals which are achievable, all the best people are going to leave. Every single person in my office is looking to leave. Everyone.

Lower the price!! We shouldn't be priced higher than FIOS. People used to switch to us for fair prices!

Your executives who manage our department are out of touch. Have them walk with the salespeople once a month so they see what we are up against.

not pleasant. was disappointed to see how employees (management and non-exempt) are really treated.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Cablevision Systems

Pros

employees receive free cable, tv and internet

Cons

-too much micromanaging, lack of trust of employees
    -continuation training for existing employees (exempt/non-exempt) is minimal and really not in--depth so that one can learn and retain info. alot of computer based training which is not always --good. (can't remember everything)
    -disciplinary policy is interesting. employees are put on epips (employee performance improvement plan warnings) for every little thing (usually in place fo 60 days). once employee off of plan and it sometimes questionable why the employee was placed on the plan, then the fact that the employee was even placed on this plan is still held against the employee for 18 months. So the employee can't win.
    -so called annual increases are minimal compared to the amount of work employees are expected to do SInce management does not really get good management training on how to administer performance warnings or any disciplinary action, there are a lot of inconsistencies between the different offices with the same organization, between the different organizations. This is why Cablevision does not want the union (CWA or IBEW) to represent its members so they can get aways with placing employees on corrective action or also, dismissing employees even when the reasons associated for carrying out this action is questionable. Well, I heard that CWA has finally won the right to represent the Field Service Organization and next, they are coming after the call centers also. The employees definitely need this representation. This company is so strange that they even place large volumens of management employees on EPIPs also for not meeting a goal or not playing the political games. What company places their management (Supervisors, etc) and Non-Exempt employees on the same EPIP. How does Cablevision expect their management to have good morale amongst themselves and also, promote morale amongs employees when they are constantly under this type of threat and also, then have to place their employees on the same performance plan that they are on also. This is the strange corporate culture that is acceptable at this company.
    - working there is like working in a cult. if you don't play along with the politics and join in with the in crowd, then you are treated differently
    -management expects employees to work like robots. some of the requirements in how an employee is expected to do the job is the same reason why employees cant reach some of their goals . this applies for both exempt and non-exempt
    - there are more cons than pros (too many to write about)

Glad the Union is infiltrating Cablevision so now you may want to stop playing games with the employees' careers. The unprofessionalism and inconsentencies will now have to go away. CWA is not going to let this keep happening to its union employees.

Stop micromanaging and trust that the majority of employees want to do a great job but its hard to do so with the threats constantly hanging over their heads. Stop managing by intimidation. Bad morales does not improve good customer service and make for a good employee.

There are newer employer reviews for Cablevision Systems