Cadence Design Systems

www.cadence.com

Cadence was perhaps the least satisfying company I've worked for over the past 20 years.

Former Employee - Senior Member Consulting Staff  in  Chelmsford, MA
Former Employee - Senior Member Consulting Staff in Chelmsford, MA

Pros

The coworkers were enjoyable and mostly good natured. The payscale was quite good even though there were frequently pay/hiring freezes and no bonuses.

Cons

As a very senior software engineer, we were supplied with very old, slow and inadequate computers and ancient code. Getting a second monitor was considered a luxury. There's an old-guard, don't change anything mentality where presenting new ideas many time is considered disruptive. Vacations/Shutdowns are strictly enforced during specific times of the year, and new employees were required to borrow against future years. Design/development process is rigid, non-agile and counter productive. Layers of specification approvals were required before any work or prototyping could begin. As a developer, the spec reviews were over attended, sometimes contentious and provided little assurance that you would be developing what was actually required since the attendees almost never came prepared (well, in the 6 years I was there I never had one where everyone who "just had to attend" was prepared).

I've seen managers/department heads there who had never worked anywhere but Cadence. The couldn't relate to any development processes other than the ones that had been in place for 12-15 years. Sad really. No attempts at improving the build/test reliability or refactoring old code could gain any traction with this management. I've never worked anywhere before or since where I was assigned a bug backlog of over 1400 bugs assigned to me the day I joined and that was in addition to the new development tasks. Other group members had similar bug backlogs.