There are newer employer reviews for Cadence Design Systems

One the right track, for the most part. But, moving too slowly, and carrying too much baggage.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cadence Design Systems full-time

Pros

-Renewed focus on quality from the top. (Unfortunately, the thick, multiple layers of management make it difficult to trickle down to the bottom.)
-Enhanced rewards and recognition program.
-Plenty of parking

Cons

-Too much middle and upper management (managers, directors, VP's) slows things down, and creates unnecessary levels of complexity and loss of focus.
-Needs more individual contributor level employees to get work done, with fewer managers creating unnecessary work and taking financial resources that could be better spent on productive contributor-level staffing.
-Sometimes, the short-sighted and over-zealous cost-cutting ends up costing more money in the long run.

Advice to Management

The organizational changes made over the last 3-4 years have had a tremendous positive affect on the company, both within and without. But, there are still one or two business units whose leadership and organization remain unchanged, that are still operating as they were before the changes, and have not experienced the positive growth and improvements as the rest of the company.

Perhaps it's time to think about leadership and organizational changes within those units, as well.

reviews filtered by

Cadence was perhaps the least satisfying company I've worked for over the past 20 years.

Former Employee - Senior Member Consulting Staff in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Member Consulting Staff in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The coworkers were enjoyable and mostly good natured. The payscale was quite good even though there were frequently pay/hiring freezes and no bonuses.

Cons

As a very senior software engineer, we were supplied with very old, slow and inadequate computers and ancient code. Getting a second monitor was considered a luxury. There's an old-guard, don't change anything mentality where presenting new ideas many time is considered disruptive. Vacations/Shutdowns are strictly enforced during specific times of the year, and new employees were required to borrow against future years. Design/development process is rigid, non-agile and counter productive. Layers of specification approvals were required before any work or prototyping could begin. As a developer, the spec reviews were over attended, sometimes contentious and provided little assurance that you would be developing what was actually required since the attendees almost never came prepared (well, in the 6 years I was there I never had one where everyone who "just had to attend" was prepared).

Advice to Management

I've seen managers/department heads there who had never worked anywhere but Cadence. The couldn't relate to any development processes other than the ones that had been in place for 12-15 years. Sad really. No attempts at improving the build/test reliability or refactoring old code could gain any traction with this management. I've never worked anywhere before or since where I was assigned a bug backlog of over 1400 bugs assigned to me the day I joined and that was in addition to the new development tasks. Other group members had similar bug backlogs.

2. Overall happy with company

Former Employee - Associate Applications Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Applications Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall great benefits however can could offer more stock options

Cons

buy-outs of other companies created culture problems

Advice to Management

Overall my experience was pleasurable