There are newer employer reviews for Cadence Design Systems

Stumbled in 2008, crawling, walking, still not running

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are teams of great people at this company.
Everyone works very hard.
Benefits are good. Pay is good.
CEO means well, has a good heart, but ....

Cons

There are political players, building little kingdoms.
R&D runs the show, and R&D management will say they listen to customers, but the resulting buggy and user-hostile software demonstrates otherwise.
Personal growth is limited.

Unless there is better balance between the organizations and in what drives the business decisions, you will never catch up to Synopsys.... or be an Apple, ARM, TSMC.
Continue to improve "deal quality" getting fair pay for products.
Continue to emphasize quality; add to that usability.

333 Other Employee Reviews for Cadence Design Systems (View Most Recent)

Excellent work/life balance. Positive challenges on the job.

Current Employee - Principal Applications Engineer  in  Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Principal Applications Engineer in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Cadence Design Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

I am challenged in exciting ways in my work. I work with quality engineers, and am provided with excellent resources. Pay is generhous, management is very flexible with time off and very hands off in style, yet expectations are clear - and high! JHigh in a good way, brings the challenge I've been missing in my career for a number of years prior to this job.

Cons

Hmmmmm, for working for someone else (i.e. not owning my own business) I think this is about as good as it gets for me in this industry. It's pretty darn good! Maybe I'm still in the "honeymoon phase" having only been with Cadence for 5 months now, but I don't think so.

Keep it up! Stay engaged with you subordinates; keep encouraging us as you have. We appreciate the feedback and the confidence you place in us!

You make your own opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Member of Consulting Staff
    Former Employee - Senior Member of Consulting Staff

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You can build a global personal network based on the colleagues and customers you engage with. Doing solid work that solves real problems will get you noticed.

Most years, Cadence holds an internal technical conference that provides additional opportunities to burnish your reputation among peers. Not everyone gets to go, but those who do can use the event to launch collaboration across business units and geographic sites.

Most employees are happy with their local teams, and reserve their suspicion for other business units and senior management strategy.

Lots of former employees come back through acquisitions and direct recruiting. These are usually the senior contributors who figured out how to manage their career opportunities at Cadence.

Cons

Vacation benefits have been a disaster, unless you were senior enough to bank enough hours. Fortunately there has been some softening over the last year to move towards a more rational and employee-friendly policy.

Career advancement is pretty easy until you get to Member of Consulting Staff, beyond that you need to be seen working on customer engagements that management cares about. Higher level promotions are rare for the operations teams and software generalists.

Long-term employees have seen just about every org-chart and management strategy several times. I know you are trying to optimize something that isn't working well, but realize that Cadence quit doing what you are advocating, at least once.

There are newer employer reviews for Cadence Design Systems

Worked for Cadence Design Systems? Contribute to the Community!