Caffè Nero

www.caffenero.com
  www.caffenero.com
There are newer employer reviews for Caffè Nero

Caffe Nero - Head Office

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Caffè Nero

Pros

Great atmosphere and really nice people (I mean really, really nice people)
Cool offices
Open communication about what's going on
And really nice people (I mention it again because they are really nice)

Cons

Management team too controlling and don't allow any autonomy
Pay and benefits not competitive
Senior management don't always walk the talk of the values and culture

Give a little freedom and autonomy and it will benefit the business

57 Other Employee Reviews for Caffè Nero (View Most Recent)

Good place to work if you don't mind repetition.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Caffè Nero

Pros

Easy progression to management.
    Flexible working hours.
    27 days holiday.
    Face to face with customers.
    Good communities can be built around a store.

Cons

Repetition, even as a manager you will have the same routine everyday. Every few months you will go through the nightmare of recruiting when half your team leave for better pay and less running around.
    Pay; for the amount of running around a person does throughout the day you get paid less than those in retail who stand behind a till or stack shelves.
    Cuts in hours; every week pressure is put on the manager to cut the amount of hours they give to staff. This means that when a store is busy it is not clean or well stocked and staff are exhausted.

In order to be the best you need to provide your staff with the hours and cross overs that will have every caffe running perfectly rather than constantly cutting hours. This cut in hours means caffe's will become understocked, dirty and eventually under staffed.

Great staff, company cuts on staff and staff allowances to make as much money out of us as possible

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I have been working at Caffè Nero full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The staff that I've worked with have all been fantastic, to get a job here you have to be a friendly and dedicated person, and as most of the managers are trained in-house, there is rarely any problems with your manager. Free drinks are a plus, alongside standard bi-yearly staff parties and the useful half-price employee card.

Cons

The main problem is that the payrises are awful. £0.10p each, with more and more responsibility. Even managers get a pittance after years spent climbing the ladder. Terrible pay, also 20 minutes break for 6-12 hours is not acceptable. Another thing is that almost every store runs a skeleton crew; if it takes 3 people to do a job, they'll hire two. The Area managers are next to useless, probably because they have so much work and no help. Some stores just get absolutely neglected, like Castlepoint, Bournemouth. It takes up to £30,000 a week (in December) but runs a skeleton crew of 5 people. As a result there is nobody to restock, clean the tables, keep the toilets clean etc. and the result is customer un-satisfaction. The equipment is all falling apart, the dishwasher is useless, the pastry oven is pathetic and takes 2 hours to cook one batch of pastries properly.

Consider a total restruction of the system in your employees favour. Better pay, more incentives for promotions (I've been a shift leader for two years because it just isn't for a promotion for 10p) Start running enough staff to keep the customers happy, and profit will increase over time.

And by the way, forcing me to work every day for a month straight after my dad passed away (I was 20) after my area manager told me I wouldn't get paid compassionate leave is absolutely against the law. I would have taken you to court if I didn't need the job to survive. Disgusting.

There are newer employer reviews for Caffè Nero