There are newer employer reviews for Cal Dive

If I am lucky enought to get called for a job cal dive rocks.

Current Employee - Diver in Broussard, LA
Current Employee - Diver in Broussard, LA

I have been working at Cal Dive

Pros

al dive uses a core group system for their divers. This is great if you are part of a core group...It is very difficult to become a member of a core group.

Cons

If you are not part of a core group you will starve!!! This is the situation I am in. I love cal dive but I would have been better off to choose a different diving company to work for.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of spreading the work around. It is tought to watch certain divers get rich while others struggle. This is the only complaint that I have with cal dive.

reviews filtered by
  1. Open management, management doesn't micromanage, but some standards of management are needed.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Cal Dive

Pros

Good work atmosphere, competent financial management, easy-going for having a stressful work industry

Cons

When bonus isn't paid (like this year), compensation is below industry standards. Benefits have been whittled away in the last few years.

Advice to Management

Start paying the people that do the actual work better, or in this environment, you will lose them.

2. Typical offshore diving company

Current Employee - Diver
    Current Employee - Diver

I have been working at Cal Dive full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Cal dive has some of the best and brightest employees in the industry. Benefits and pay at this point are, from what I gather from others in the industry, above average.

Cons

There is a complete disconnect between management and labor. Upper management has this vision of an incident and injury free work place, while middle management and line management push labor to the brink. Project management expects 110% production while giving 80% support to labor.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach, if management expects an incident injury free work place stop asking labor to choose between their job or their safety. Terminate the under performers and those who dont care about the quality of their work. Terminate those who cost the company millions because of their ineptitude, i.e., ordering an hrc for a vessel that does not fit on the vessel.

There are newer employer reviews for Cal Dive